sixteen - let off & fly

Ashton stepped out of the ice rink, taking his helmet off and feeling the heavy drops of sweat dripping down his face. He set it down on the bleachers and ran a hand through his hair, as he turned around he caught himself smiling without any particular reason, just as he opened his eyes he saw Nina standing right in front of him.

"Oh." He said in surprise, his eyes opening wide.

"Hello." Nina said in a weird tone which Ashton didn't know the meaning of. She folded her arms over her chest and glared up at him as if she was waiting for an explanation.

"Uh, hi?" Ashton said after a while, grabbing his helmet and walking past her.

"Do you still know who I am?" Nina questioned as she jogged after him into the locker room.

"Uh, yeah." Ashton answered more as a question, giving her a quick glare over his shoulder as he opened the door and stepped foot in the locker room.

"I tried to call you but you wouldn't answer, also the ten messages I wrote you left them at seen, what happened?" Nina asked as she followed him into the small room and sat down on a bench as Ashton started taking his sweaty clothes off. "Are you mad at me?"

"No, no." Ashton shook his head and furrowed his eyebrows to try and look more convincing, but the truth was less endearing. He was jealous at Luke, and he started to hate Nina for being with him, also Candice had a big role in this whole situation too. "I've just been really busy, you know, hockey and stuff."

"Okay." Nina said through a whisper as she kept her eyes glued on the floor, not feeling comfortable enough to look up at a shirtless Ashton. "I just wanted to talk with you, I haven't seen you since holidays started." She added to try and defend herself.

Coming here she was convinced that Ashton hated her and that he was trying to avoid her, which was partly true, but now that he was so cold and nonchalant about it Nina calmed down and started to feel bad for attacking him like this.

"Okay, go ahead." Ashton, who's finally changed his clothes, sat down next to her and started packing his skaters and jersey in a duffle bag.

"So, how have you been?" Nina questioned, rubbing her forehead nervously which automatically brought out a smile on Ashton's face since she's never been nervous around him before.

"Good, good." He answered once he flinched back to reality. "I've been coming here every other day, doing my conditioning drills and puck leadings." He explained and out of some reason a small chuckle escaped his lips.

"Tha - that's awesome." Nina commented, hating herself for acting so dumb around him. Usually Ashton was the one losing his s.hit but now they've changed roles.

"What have you been up to?" He asked as he stood up and made his way out of the locker room, Nina trailing close behind him.

"Uh, nothing special." She murmured under her breath as they walked out of the gym and walked over to Ashton's car.

"Who drove you over here?" He asked once they reached his car and he started to wonder who was going to drive Nina home.

"I walked." She shrugged simply and with a bit of hesitation she opened the passenger seat door and sat down as Ashton was already in his place.

"Where's Luke?" He asked simply, not bothering to drive her home. He started the car and saw Nina shivering at that question.

"He broke up with me." She added with a shaky voice but still trying to act cool, as if wasn't much of a big deal for her.

"Oh my God." Ashton gasped, pulling the car out of the parking lot. "When did that happen?" He questioned, feelimg sincere sympathy for his friend, not just pretending like usually.