Chapter 11 - Forgotten girlfriend

Ryan has slept at my place for a whole week. I thought of asking him about Alyssa, but that would be unfair towards him as I didn't have any answers to his questions about me and James. And honestly, I don't even know what we are or what it is exactly that I may or may not feel for James. He has not called or texted Alyssa even once as far as I know. It just seems extremely weird doesn't it? 

I called Stella this morning and told her that I wanted to talk to her during lunch, right after my Dutch classes. Now, I'm standing in front of her locker and I'm looking around, but I don't see my blonde friend anywhere. 

"April! I'm here...! Stella coming through people make a way for me, will ya?" While she was running and bumping against other students she waved her hand. When she reached to her locker she was out of breath. 

"Okay, Stella... When you're ready to speak, tell me... Have you been in touch with Alyssa recently? I mean, did you still speak to her after her mom told you about her being sick and all that?"

From the outside it must be looking as if I was waiting patiently for my best friend to breathe normally again and then reply, but on the inside I just wanted her to hurry. I feel like a very bad friend. After hearing that she was sick from Stella, the thought of calling her or visiting my friend did not even cross my mind for a second. The only ones I was thinking of were James and Ryan. They shouldn't have been my priorities, Alyssa should have.

"I... Uh, I did not," Stella replied. I know I shouldn't think anything bad of my own friends, but I just couldn't keep it to myself. I acted as if Alyssa did not matter to me anymore and I may have lost her as one of my friends. I don't want to loose Ryan or Stella as well.

 I argue one more time with my mind before letting the words out of my mouth. "We all saw that Ryan kissed Ria... Before you came to me that day, before the whole thing with Rick and all. Ryan kissed her." 

"WHAT?!" Stella gasped. She looked just as shocked as I was then. Maybe even more. I mean, it's Stella we're talking about. 

"I knew it! I mean I have had this feeling since that day I asked you guys for a ride. But... Why would Ryan cheat on a girl like Alyssa? She's the best that he can get around all these bitches! And he's having an affair with Ria?"

"Yeah...No! I don't know... And my mind has been a mess since that day. I swear, Stells... That day, it wasn't because of James. Not at all..." I ran one hand through my hair as I spoke.

"See, April... You're telling me it had nothing to do with the guy with the perfect hair, but the way you're running that hand through you own hair just makes me see this whole 'guilty' vibe around you..." Stella laughed at her own words. It didn't make any sense.

I shook my head, but couldn't help and smiled as well.  "Stop it already! I'm telling you the truth! And we're not here to talk about James and me, because there's no him and me. I want you to tell me, do you think Ryan is cheating on Alyssa? I think he's completely forgotten about her. He hasn't contacted her for as long as I haven't too. This isn't like the Ryan we knew, right?"

Stella frowned, "I can't believe Ryan kissed her-"

"Ooh who are we talking about? I hope it's not my boyfriend, Ryan, that kissed someone, Stella?"  Alyssa walked towards us. She looked alright. Maybe even better than before she got sick. 

"Uh... I... We... April is in love with James! So, there it is... I said it. It's out and I'm going to the theater hall. Ryan must be waiting! Bye chicas! Come join us before lunch ends!" Stella yelled, and with that she hurried to the theater hall and left me alone with Alyssa. 

Well, this is going to be awkward.

"Oh my gosh, so are you going to explain any of the things Stella just said?" 

I laughed awkwardly. How am I going to explain this? Stella will get back what she just served me. This girl... Can't live with her, can't live without her.

"Eh... Ha ha, funny story actually..." 

"Don't give me this act, April. I know you too good for that" 

Oh god, Stella is right. I must have a vibe that just yells in Alyssa's face that I am guilty of acting like I don't know that I'm dodging her questions. 

"Alright, I'll tell you. But promise me you'll forgive me for not contacting you in any way. And that you'll tell me everything that had happened, what you had etcetera..."

"I promise. Not hurry up, and just tel me!"

"So the day we all came to know you had gotten sick, we figured we should do something. Cause, crashing at your place was off the list... We went to do this workshop, we made our own chocolate and stuff. It was a lot of fun, and I wish you were there with us.  And yeah, I don't know... That day I felt a bit down and exhausted, due to the fact my anxiety had kicked in and James was just there for me. Stella is giving me a hard time because she's jealous of him. Because I was with him every time and she didn't like that obviously. I did not think that she would mind though, with Ryan being there also..."

When I said Ryan's name I was hoping to find a change in her look. Sadness, heart break, anything actually. But she just kept nodding and listening to what I was telling her.

"Speaking of those two, why don't we also head to the theater hall and have our lunch! I'm hungry! Aren't you? I mean you were sick, and eating good is your ticket to better health, right?" I winked at Alyssa and linked our arm and started to drag her to the theater hall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 "Hey, babe. How are you feeling now?" Ryan walked up to Alyssa and kissed her on her forehead while his hands cupped her face.

"Hi..." She hugged him and they both acted as if their relationship was perfectly fine. 

Stella and I looked at each other and mouthed things like "Are they for real?" "What now?" "Ssht, maybe we should just play along"

Stella hoisted her shoulder and moved her head in the direction of the couple.

"And... Did our best friend take good care of you, Lyssa?" Stella was trying to get some answers as we were sure as hell not getting any from Ryan.

"Uh, actually... I didn't think that was necessary. I told him I was sick and that he didn't have to worry, and he did, but he let me be alone just like I wanted. And I respect that." If someone other than me and Alyssa were listening to her, they would believe that what she was saying was cute. But, both Stella and I were seeing how uncomfortable she was feeling.

And Ryan? Ryan had an annoyed look on his face from the beginning Stella asked Alyssa about them.