Chapter 16

Caden's POV

I couldn't stop thinking about what would have happened if Sebastian didn't show up when he did. It was so close to happening.

"We're here." Sebastian said as he turned off the car. I just sat there and stared out of my window, not really looking at anything.

I heard a door close, and then mine open. He unbuckled me, and carried me bridal style into the house, while I laid my head on his shoulder.

He carried me to my room and gently laid me on the bed. I rolled away from him and curled into the fetal position. I couldn't even feel the pain from my chest. I felt numb.

"I'll be right back. I'm going to get the first aid kit and some water and wash cloths."

I just stayed still. Making my mind go blank because I didn't want to think about it anymore.

I heard Sebastian come back in and make noise. I still didn't move.

"I'm going to roll you over love." He said before he came up beside me and rolled me over. I stared at the ceiling blankly, not really seeing anything.

"This might sting a little but I have to clean the blood off so I can see what I need to do." When he touched the warm, wet washcloth to my chest is when all the pain came back full force.

"Aghhh!" I yelled out, gripping the sheets underneath me.

"I know love. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry I didn't get there before he could do this to you."

I looked at his face and tried to block the pain I was feeling. He had a look of concern and concentration on his face. I looked at his beautiful ice blue eyes. I could get lost in them, and I did until I heard him gasp.

"What is it?" My voice sounded horse and timid, worried.

"Love." Is all he said in a whispered sigh. I saw tears fill his eyes. I looked down and saw how cut up I was. I stood on shaky legs and moved to the bathroom to get a better look.

"I don't think that's a good idea." He whispered as he came up behind me and grabbed my hips gently. I was too defeated to argue. I just let him lead me back to the bed.

He used butterfly stitches to close the wounds. They were deep, but not deep enough to need stitches. After he was done, he put antibiotic cream and gauze on them, then wrapped an ace bandage around my chest.

"Thank you." I said.

"No need to thank me love. I'll always take care of you. Here, take these. It'll help with the pain a little."

I gave him a small smile and took the pills with a bottle of water that he had with him.

"I really am sorry I couldn't protect you." He said to me solemnly.

"You can't always be there to protect me. I'm just glad you were there to save me. These cuts will heal. What he was about to do, I don't think I could ever heal from that."

"They're going to scar." His said sadly.

"Even if they do, I can be relieved that you got there in time to stop him."

"I don't know how well you're going to take the scaring."

"What do you mean?" I asked confused. I just told him.

"You're always going to be reminded of him." He said. He sounded like he wanted to say more but didn't.

"I was always going to be reminded of him anyways. He killed my parents."

He just looked away.

"We should get to sleep. It's been a long day." He said. I agreed. I was exhausted both mentally and physically.

I laid down on my back so I wouldn't irritate my cuts. He laid down beside me and held me close, avoiding my chest.

"I'm so sorry." He kept repeating until I fell asleep, and even then he was probably still saying it.

Sebastian's POV

When I knew Caden was asleep I got out of bed. This is the second time I've let him down, and I really screwed up this time.

I walked to my office and sat at my desk, waiting on Jerry to call me and confirm everything.

Things weren't supposed to happen this way. He wasn't supposed to get hurt. I was supposed to be able to protect him always.

My phone ringing pulled me out of my thoughts.

"Jerry, is everything taken care of?" I asked.

"Yeah. My boys said you did a number on his face."

"He did some pretty bad damage to Caden, and I completely lost it. I didn't know I was capable of that."

"You'd be surprised at what you would do for a loved one." Jerry said. He was talking from experience.

His wife was home alone when a burglar came and almost killed her. That's how Jerry started doing what he does. He runs an assassin team, and I'm usually the one that tracks their targets.

"Anyways," he said, "the cleaners planted evidence of his kills and burned the place down. It looks like an accident, and you can't tell he was almost beat to death. You're in the clear."

I let out a sigh of relief. I wanted us to put this behind us. As much as we could at least.

"Thanks Jerry." I said and hung up.

I put my head in my hands. I hope that when Caden sees his chest he doesn't hate me.