Prologue

I remember when my Dad taught me how to ride a tricycle. The way he would stand behind me, hands on my shoulders, steadying me. Making sure I kept my balance. He would flash me a toothy grin and I returned it, but with less teeth. I had lost my front teeth the day before and in the morning there was a crisp ten dollar bill under my pillow. My first visit from the tooth fairy.

I remember when I was five years old and rushing down the marbled stairs, my long black hair in disarray from just having woke up. In my rush I had jumped the last two steps only to lose my footing. Spiraling forward to be caught in my Dad's embrace. I would laugh and my Mom would teasingly chastise me for being a klutz. Before I could say anything back I would hear a bark from the box my mother held. The moment the Samoyed puppy popped it's head out was a breathtaking memory. One I could never forget. Its pristine white fur and blue eyes reminded me so much of winter; my favorite season. Which makes me wonder why I named her Hachiko in the first place instead of Yuki. I was a weird kid back then.

.....I remember celebrating my tenth birthday. My mom, my dad, and me huddling around a birthday cake depicting a beautiful scene of a frozen lake with trees surrounding it. Then there was the custom made topping, modeled to look like me and positioned in a way to make it look like I was Ice skating. I can never forget that day. It was little lonely considering I had no friends at the time, but I had my family. As long as I had my mom, my dad, and Hachiko life would just be peachy.

I remember I was happy.