Insurmountable Chapter 5 (Part 2)

CHAPTER FIVE (PART 2)

"Shh..." Jake put his finger close to his mouth, warning me to be quiet. I simply nodded and ran quickly towards the brick wall.

I tried leaning against the wall when I felt something sticky on my hand. I raised my hand to my face and realized there was an old gum attached to it. I wrinkled my nose in disgust and wiped my it on Jake's shirt. His eyes fell to his chest and looked at the gum with an impassive expression.

"I'm betting ten bucks that this was a mint-flavored gum, once upon a time," He said. I rolled my eyes at his immaturity. 

"Focus!" I hissed.

"Alright, when I say go, you attack, I cover. Ready...." he trailed off.

"NOW!" Jake shouted. I pushed myself away from the wall and I was about to snap my fingers when I realized that the place we were in wasn't a secret hideout.

It was an amusement park.

I quickly glared at Jake and saw that he was laughing. "I can't believe....you...fell...for that." He cracked up.

"Ugh," I stomped away from him. Yeah, I was pretty stupid trusting a monkey who had a brain the size of a peanut.

Scratch that. He doesn't have a brain.

"Scarlett! Sorry!" He was already beside me. "It's just your face...it was so serious, and you were so cute..." He chuckled.

"Okay...thanks for the breakfast, the wig and everything else but--" I was about to take off my wig when a little girl grabbed my pants and started crying. I looked at Jake but he was as confused as I was.

"Momma!" She wailed. Her face was as red as I tomato. People who passed by were staring at us. I mouthed 'Fuck off' and they started to walk away. Jake, on the other hand, bent down to his knees so he was at the same level as the little girl. Then he started making funny faces. He looked like a doofus.

Oh, wait, he already was.

The girl stopped crying and giggled at Jake. Jake seemed to relax and started wiping the girl's tears.

"What's your name, pretty girl?" He asked gently.

"Mia..." The girl fiddled with her curly blonde hair.

"Where's your mother?" I asked. At that, Mia started crying again while hiccuping. Jake gave me a meaningful look and I just shrugged.

"Did you lose your momma?" Jake tried asking. Mia nodded slowly.

"Don't worry, we'll help you find her. Is that okay with you, Mia?" He said. Mia jumped and hugged Jake. He seemed surprise at first but he hugged her back. Looking at them made my heart skip a beat, for what reason, I have no idea.

"Wanna piggy back ride?" Jake asked Mia.

"Yes please!" she beamed. She crawled at Jake's back and they took off--which left me standing alone.

"Is he the father?" A teenager with a bad case of acne approached me.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"The brunette boy. You two didn't use protection, didn't you? That's why--" Before he got to finish, I punched him in the face.

* * * 

"So, one chocolate and strawberry ice cream with sprinkles and marshmallows on top for Mia, one mocha and peanut butter swirl with crispy crunchies for me and a...vanilla ice cream for Scarlett." Jake started distributing the ice cream cones.