Insurmountable Chapter 10 (Part 1)

CHAPTER TEN (PART 1)

"Would you like to watch some television?" Camille asked me. Obviously trying to change the topic. I stayed frozen.

Camille's ex-husband was MY creator.

"Mom, we got the television fixed by Uncle Fred." Nikki descended from the stairs.

"Oh, that's right. How 'bout some milk?" She inquired, faking a smile. Beads of sweat were forming at her forehead.

I simply shook my head.

"Juice?" Camille looked away from me, avoiding eye contact.

Again, I shook my head. But this time, I felt my mouth moving slowly and I found myself whispering. "Tell me everything about him."

"Uh..I-I'm really not comfortable with this topic, dear..." Her hands were trembling.

I turned to Nikki and Mia who were on the floor, laughing. "Nikki, take Mia to the park. I'd like to talk to Camille. Alone." I gritted through my teeth.

"B-but..." Nikki tried to protest but I cut her off.

"Now." I said shortly but immediately, their heads turned to Camille. She nodded slightly. 

"Mia, c'mon." Nikki held out her hand and Mia took them while staring at me. Once they stepped out of the house, I turned to Camille.

"I'd rather not talk about him..." Camille said firmly.

"What's his name?" I ignored her and asked a question.

She remained silent while staring at the floor.

"Camille."

Nothing.

I took off my wig and let my flaming hair fall on my shoulders. I removed my glasses and turned to her. 

When she caught sight of me, her breath caught and fear crossed her eyes. "Scar..." 

"Please...I just want to know more about my creator. I'm begging you, Camille. I won't tell anyone." I pleaded her. Her face was filled with astonishment. She tried to reach for the phone but I caught it before she did. 

"There's no need to call the police, I won't hurt you." I said.

She looked away from me and it seems like she was debating on whether telling me or not. Slowly, she closed her eyes and placed a hand over her chest. She let out a heavy sigh and opened her eyes. She looked at me softly.

"Robert Weatherford. That was his name. That was the name of the man I loved, years ago." She said. "I met him in high school. We fell in love, we got married, you know like the usual story. But we never had kids. Nikki and Mia are Patrick's, my present husband."

I listened intently to what she was saying.

"Robert became a famous scientist. He was known for his greatest creation. You." She gestured at me.

"A few months before he died, he told me that he can give me the powers that you possessed. I knew he wasn't the man I loved. A look in his eyes told me it wasn't him. I left him. But even if I did, I never felt pain, I never felt incomplete, it was almost like I didn't need him in my life. I told myself that I was cruel and selfish, but never changed my decision. 

"When they told me that he was found dead, I felt nothing. Not even grief or sadness. I realized I had stopped loving him. I realized that being his wife was only just a responsibility--" She stopped when he heard the door open.