Insurmountable Chapter 11

CHAPTER ELEVEN

"J-Jacob? You're alive..." Camille stuttered while tears were gushing down her cheeks. She slowly rose to her feet and reached out for her foster son. Jake backed away from her and had a blank expression on his face.

What's wrong with him? Didn't he want to see his mother? It's been years since he saw her, isn't it?

Jake started to walk away from me and Camille. I looked at her and she helplessly went after him. "Jacob? Jacob, where are you going, son?" They were halfway in the front yard when she touched his shoulders and immediately he jerked away.

"Just go back to the apartment when you're done." He said loudly to me, completely ignoring Camille who was right in front of him. She repeatedly chanted his name but he acted as if he heard nothing.

I walked over towards them and yelled at the jerk. "What the hell is wrong with you?! Your mother, who took you in years ago, is standing right in front of you--"

"Don't act like you know everything about me!" He yelled back.

I froze. His tone was harsh and cold that it surprised me. He never used that tone of voice to me before. His eyes were shooting daggers at me. 

Okay that's it, time for me to break his little facade.

I raised my arm and slapped him on the cheek, right in front of Camille. I must've hit him harder than I thought because he actually stumbled. Camille gasped and tried to balance him but he kept his head down. I grabbed him by the collar of his jacket and forced him to look at me. 

"Look at me." I muttered. When he didn't move, I gripped harder on his collar.

"Scar, that's enough...I-I..." Camille said softly but I ignored her.

"I said, look at me!" I shook him until he slowly turned his face towards me. It was wet.

I smirked. "There's the tears I wanted to see. Now, look here, asshole. There's your mother right there," I pointed my finger towards Camille."She willingly took you in when you were starving while I was alone for all my life. I never knew how it felt like to have someone talk to me whenever I felt sad, or bake me cookies, or read me bedtime stories. Now, I don't know everything about your past and I know it's none of my business but if I were you, I would just be fucking grateful and just hug her so damn tight, got that?" I let go of him and he just stared at the ground blankly.

I didn't want to admit it but I am kind of freaked out by him right now. What's with the creepy emo demeanor?

Suddenly, Jake stretched out his palm and directed it towards the flower pots on the yard. He blasted it using his radiation...powers and just stood there lifelessly again.

"'Hey mom, look, I have superpowers!' Do you think my family could live peacefully if they ever heard that sentence?" Jake laughed humorlessly. He faced Camille and laughed some more.

Either this monkey is high, or he finally lost it.

"I never died. I ran away from you. I faked my own death to get away from you. I wasn't supposed to be living with normal humans. I was insurmountable. I am insurmountable." He said in a dark tone.

"Jacob." Camille sighed deeply and tried to hold back her tears. "I know... I know everything about you. I knew you didn't die... I knew you had these supernatural gifts. I was baffled at first when I discovered about these gifts but I kept it to myself, even Patrick doesn't know. I'm your mother, Jacob. When they said that they couldn't find your body, the day that ship sank, I knew you were alive. I..." She paused to breathe. "I kept thinking that maybe you hated us. That you wanted to get far away from us as possible... Patrick said that I had to move on, to accept the fact that you passed away. But I knew. I knew you were alive--"