CHAPTER 25

CARLI

I woke up to horrible heartburn, my lungs burning with every breath I took. I wobbled downstairs to the kitchen, getting myself some orange juice and a bagel. Harry had gone to work today, leaving me to write thank you letters to the ones who gave the baby a gift. I sat at the table, munching on the toasted bread. I grabbed the cute cards I bought and grabbed one, signing Gemma's name on the envelope. I began to write a cute little thanks, smiling as I finished it and slid it into the white envelope. I licked it close and sat it to the right. An hour slowly passed and to my dismay I wasn't even half done with these stupid things.

"Carli?" A man's voice called. I scowled and got up, pressing my hands against my back as I wobbled to the front door. Karl was standing there with flowers in his hands, a small smile on his face.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him, tucking some of my hair behind my ear. He handed me the flowers which I slowly took and sat them on the coffee table.

"I wanted to come apologize in person. Carli I'm so sorry, really. I shouldn't have yelled and called you those things. I shouldn't have taken Tania's side.. I know you better and--"

"Karl, it's okay." I sighed. "I don't want stress so I forgive you."

"Thank you." Karl breathed, smiling as he pulled me into a hug. I softly patted his back as I smiled back, shaking my head as I pulled away. "Harry's still mad at me, though."

"What did he do?"

"Put me in security for some time." Karl groaned as he rolled his eyes. "But that's okay. If it makes him feel better and like me again I'll do anything."

"I'm sure he still likes you. Your his best friend, Karl." I smiled. Something inside me twisted, my eyes going big as I felt a rush of wet liquid come out of my center, the liquid hitting the floor loudly. I looked down as Karl's eyes went big, a sharp pain coming like cramps-- but a hundred times worse. I gasped in pain as the contraction intensified, pain taking over my body.

"Carli- I-"

"Karl! I'm going into Labor!" I screeched, worry filling my brain. "Call Harry!"

Karl nodded and quickly picked me up, rushing me to his car. "I'll take you to the hospital." I nodded even though I just wanted Harry, tears streaming down my face. I was so scared of the possibility of something happening, my hands shaking as Karl called Harry on the way to the Hospital. I could tell he was freaking out, Harry's voice louder than usual.

"Are you ready for this?" Karl asked as he and a nurse helped me into a wheelchair.

I let out a shaky breath and sent him a glare. "Does it look like I'm ready?" I snapped. Karl chuckled and shut my door, the nurse pushing me into the double doors. She began telling me things that weren't important-- just trying to get me calm, which wasn't working. She brought me up to a private room, helping me into the hospital bed.

"Ma'am, I know you don't want to move but we really need to put you into a hospital gown." The nurse explained as she held up the blue sheet. How is that a gown? Seriously?

I nodded and looked at the clock, wondering where Harry was. As I took off my shirt, Harry rushed in looking worried and exhausted. "Oh thank God." Harry breathed as he pressed his hand through his hair, quickly making his way to my side. He gave me a kiss and looked at the nurse. "I'll do that. Can you give us a few minutes?"

The nurse pressed her lips together and sighed. "Just a few, okay? We have to take vitals and check what's happening."

"Okay." Harry nodded as the nurse walked out of the room, shutting the door behind her. Harry looked down at me and rested his hands on my cheeks, his thumb swiping away my tears. "You're so beautiful, Carli." Harry grinned and pressed his forehead against mine. "Just think, our son will be here in just a little bit."

"I hope so." I weakly smiled, loving how comforting he was being at this hectic painful time.

"Come on, let's get you comfortable the best we can." Harry helped me into my gown and my fingers slowly braided my crazy hair. When I was all situated the nurse came back in, this time with two other older women. They hooked me up to machines, putting an IV into my left hand. I started to feel a little better. I looked at Harry and he sent me a grin, his eyes watching our little baby on the screen.

"Well, your son is ready to come into the world! He's a champ." The oldest woman said as she smiled. "Sadly, he wont come for several hours so you'll have to tough it out. I suggest chewing on some ice, taking a walk and maybe we can get a bath going."

"That sounds amazing." I said. "Anything to ease the pain is okay with me."

"Alright. Well we'll leave you two alone to have some time. Either I or my helpers will come to check up on you. When it comes time to check your cervix we'll call in your midwife."

"Thank you." I called as they left. I looked over at Harry and smiled. "Take a walk with me?"

"Absolutely." Harry beamed. The walk was only for about 15 minutes, my contractions stopping me from going any further. Harry walked me past the waiting room and I saw tons of people there for Harry and I. I was excited to see everyone that I've grew to love there to support us. Even Zayn was here, which surprised me. After he kicked me out we never spoke and to me it seemed as if he didn't care about me anymore. I weakly waved at them, giggling as Harry cheered; "I'm going to be a dad soon!!"

We rounded the corner and went back to my room. I silently thanked Harry as he helped me back into bed, the thin covers placing on my legs and crotch. My bulging stomach was in plain sight but at this moment I didn't care, I was about to give birth to my first baby.

"Hello you two!" My midwife called as she walked inside, her hands grabbing two blue gloves and slipping them onto her hands. "Are you guys excited to become parents?"

"Yep." Harry said, chuckling. She sat down on the edge of my bed, helping me place my feet onto the stools they had connected to the bed. It was awkward when she slid her hand inside me, feeling around.

I heard her sigh and pull her hand out, her eyes meeting mine. "Only 3 inches wide, Carli. You'll have to endure the pain for a long time."

"Great." I mumbled, wishing that I was farther along in the process.

"I'll come back soon." She informed us as she left.

The next twelve hours were painfully long, my contractions two minutes apart. The pain was getting worse and the pressure against my lower region was intensifying. I was crying one minutes and cursing Harry for doing this to me the next. I could hear the baby's heartbeat from the monitor that was hooked up to me, the sound comforting to my ears. As the hours passed by, they had moved me to the birthing unit-- a more sterile and quiet room. My other room, the one I was going to be placed after I gave birth was filled with flowers, balloons and cute little things for the baby and I. Harry had been wonderful and brought in the bag that was filled with the needs I wanted.

My midwife finally came back in and checked to see what my cervix was in inches. "Congrats Cali! You're at 9.5. We'll get you ready to push this baby out!!"