Chapter 10

I didn't know where the bathroom was, but Hazel guided me to it. 

"What do you want?" I ask Hazel. "Actually, no. I want to know what's going on. Who is Gus? Where am I? Why does everyone think I'm you? Why are you in my head?"

"That's a lot of questions. Some I don't know the answer to, and others I can only guess."

"Then start talking" I say.

"I can't tell you much about Gus." Hazel's voice broke at Gus's name. "You see, our story stays between us. But I can tell you this: our story is a love story." There was a long pause before Hazel spoke again. "You see," she starts off, "I see everything that you see, so on a side note, DO NOT USE THE BATHROOM WITHOUT TELLING ME!"

I cover my ears, at the last part, and it takes me a while before I hear another voice. And it takes me double that time to realize it was my voice. Laughing. I can't remember the last time I laughed, and it honestly felt good after all that's happened. 

Hazel had also joined me laughing, and after a long time, we finally cooled down. 

"So what were you saying?" I finally ask, a smile still on my lips.

"You see, when you look in the mirror, I see that you look exactly like me. I think that's why people think you're me." Hazel says. "You should know my story if you are going to be me. My name's Hazel Grace Lancaster, and I was born on September 29th 1996. I'm an only child. Gus was my great love, and via him, I befriended Isaac. I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Thyroid cancer with metastasis forming in her lungs at the age of 13. And my favorite book is An Imperial Affliction by Peter Van Houten."

"I do not want your life story. Or being you for that matter. I just want to get to Chicago and live my ife." I was starting to loose control. What if this was a simulation? I preferred dying then being in this land. "Where are we right now?"

"What do you mean?"

"What land are we in? or is this a simulation?"

"We are in Indiana."

"Have you ever heard of a place called Chicago?

"Yes. Why? Is that where you're from?"

I didn't get a chance to answer, because someone knocked on the door and said "Hey Hazel, you okay in there?"

"I'm fine Isaac!" I yelled through the door. 

In fact I'm more than fine.