Chapter 3

"I love you Tobias", I said.

But Tobias just stood there unmoving. He was... crying! Tobias never cried. I waved at him, but it was as if he couldn't see me. I tried taking his hands, but my hands just went through him. My hands flew back, and Tobias collapsed. It was like a mirror breaking: first, the cracks, and Tobias just shattered there in front of me. I turned my face to see Christina, standing there, staring past me. She looked sad. I went to hug her, but as soon as I touched her, she shattered like Tobias.

What was happening? What is this?

Christina's pieces started taking form, and it was a familiar form.

It was my mother.

She looked at me, and she was really seeing me. Then she pointed her fingers behind me.

I turned, and stared... at my grave.

I awoke gasping.

It was just a dream, I thought. Just a-

"Hazel!" The Woman Who Kept Calling Hazel interrupted my thoughts. "You're finally awake! I've been so worried, the doctor said you'll be ready to go home in 2 days if they find nothing wrong with you."

I scanned her outfit. She obviously didn't abide by the faction's dress code. What happened while I was out? Where were Tobias and Christina and Uri-.

Then I remembered. Uriah died, because of the explosion. We had decided to unplug him.

But where were the others? Was Chicago saved?

"Hazel? Are you okay?" The Woman Who Kept Calling Hazel asked.

"My name's not Hazel. It's Tris. Tris Prior." I said. "Where's Tobias? What happened to the other's?"

"Tobias?" The Woman frowned, " Don't you mean-" She paused, looked back at the man who was still crying- he obviously never was Dauntless.

The man, with the tears still on his face, finished the woman's sentence. " Don't you mean Gus?"

"Gus?" I asked. My voice still sounded like a stranger's.

There was a long silence. Which The Woman recovered from first, with " The doctor told us you had amnesia, so this probably what you think Gus's name is."

"Anyways," I sighed, " Since you don't want to tell me where's Tobias, then who are you? What happened to David? Did I stop him? Is everyone all right? What happened to the factions?"

The Woman just stared at me blankly. "Honestly, I thought the weirdest thing you've said was why eggs were stuck in the breakfast group, and it wasn't fair for them, because you could put bacon anywhere and no one would react, but if you put eggs somewhere, it becomes breakfast, but this just topped it."

Now it was my turn to stare at her blankly.

The Woman simply laughed.