Chapter 18: Be Careful of Who You Trust

Maasaki's p.o.v

I walked into Satoshi and I's room. Satoshi was doing his usual thing, which was reading that book of his. And of course he was choosing to ignore me. 

"What is it that you want Maasaki?" he asked not sparing me a glance.

"U-Uh, nothing!" I squeaked. 

"Then why are you staring at me for? It's highly irritating." he said, turning a page.

"I'm just bored." I lied.

"Then go bother someone else."

I hardened my stare at him slightly and quickly changed it into a smile.

"Okay!" I said happily.

I walked out of the room and out into the main room. Kakuzu and Hidan looked like they were ready to leave for a mission. I believe they were going to go and get the two-tailed beast. 

'Everything is falling into place...' 

I walked out of the main room and into Nagato's office without a single knock. I closed the door as Konan and Nagato stared at me.

"When is he joining?" I asked sternly.

"Soon..." he replied. "He should be here right about-..."

Just before Nagato could finish, Madara appeared in the middle of the room. He looked a bit weird as well... maybe it was the clothing?

The three of us bowed as Madara spoke.

"First thing is first, how is Satoshi doing?" Madara asked.

"Hn, reading.. like always. That boy is always doing his own thing. I hate being assigned to watch over him, he goes everywhere..." I said coldly.

"You play a good role of being a clueless friend to him, though." he said.

"I'm surprised that he hasn't figured me out yet." I said. "To think he's a prodigy... yet he can't figure out that everything I told him is a lie." 

"Yet, you seem to care for him in some way..." Nagato said. "I can see it."

"I guess you can say he deserves a treat once in awhile." I said.

"When will Satoshi be of no use to us?" Nagato asked ignoring my comment.

"I'm not sure when we'll dispose of him, but I'll give out a signal when it's time. In the meantime, keep him alive." Madara said sternly.

"Will his eyes still be able to function properly even if we're not part of his clan?" Nagato asked.

"His eyes needs to be fresh.. meaning we'll have to take his eyes when his death comes and implant them quickly." I said.

Konan frowned at the plan we have for Satoshi. She believed that Satoshi didn't deserve this betrayal. However, despite what she thinks... she'll have to follow this plan and carry it out until it is done. I'll have his eyes and then we'll truly seek the peace for this damned world. 

"I'm taking my leave now." I said. "And remember... failure is not an option, that goes for you Konan."

Madara looked at Konan with doubtful eyes and stayed behind. Hopefully to knock some sense into her.

"Hai..." she replied.

I took my leave from Nagato's office with a devious smile on my face.

'Satoshi... you're such a fool.'

Satoshi's p.o.v

I was still reading my book alone in my room. However, I felt like doing something.. I mean I wasn't given a mission so what can I do? I closed my book and sat it on my bed. I get up from my bed and walked out of the bedroom and into the main room. It seemed that everyone was there, besides leader, Konan, the zombie duo, Zetsu, and Maasaki. 

I don't really speak to the others, besides Itachi so I decided to ignore their presence and head back to my room. But before I could even take a step, Maasaki appeared out of nowhere and was standing a bit too close to me.

"There you are Satoshi!" he said happily. "I was looking for you!"

"For what?" I asked, taking a step back.

"Let's go and get the three-tailed beast!" he said.

"Was it an order, or just a suggestion..?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.

"An order." he said.

I sighed and walked past him. I had to put on my cloak that was in my room. I walked into my room and grabbed my cloak that was hanging on a chair, and put it on. I also grabbed my book that was sitting on my bed began to read and walked back to the main room.

"Let's go..." I said, walking ahead of him.

Maasaki closely followed behind us, but we were told to stop before we could fully  leave the base. Pein had walked out with that man behind him. 

"Everyone, this... is Tobi." Pein said. 

"HI EVERYONE!" he shouted happily.

I think everyone deadpanned at the sight of Madara... er, Tobi. 

"No way... he doesn't even seem qualified." Deidara said.

"BUT I AM!" Tobi whined.

"Tobi will be partnered with you, Deidara." Pein said.

"What?!" Deidara shouted.

"Can we just leave already Maasaki... I don't want to hear this rambling." I mumbled in annoyance.

"Okay!"

I walked ahead of Maasaki but I didn't hear him follow me close behind like he usually does... which makes me a bit worrisome. I continued to walk, but looked behind me slightly so no one would notice. I seen Maasaki and Madara make eye contact with each other, but just for a brief second. I open up the hideout causing Maasaki to turn around.

"H-Hey! Wait for me!" he yelled.

Maasaki immediately ran over to me and closely walked next to me.

"You always leave me unexpectedly!" he whined.

"Maybe you should pay attention to your surroundings instead of getting distracted over the littlest of things." I said.

"You're so mean Satoshi..." he pouted. "And to think that we're supposed to be a team!"

'A team, huh? Then I wonder what that look you shared with Madara was... I'm slowly losing my trust for you Maasaki.. but I'll continue to play your little game blindly.'