Chapter 3

The greenhouse door opened and I saw Jace coming through the door. I had a stele in my hand and I was drawing a rune on my hand, but I didn't know what it meant until I noticed that it was a rune that my little brother drew all of the time. When I looked up again, Jace was standing in front of me holding my hand to see the rune which I had drawn. "What is that rune for?" 

I didn't say anything for a moment, then I thought of when I was at home with my brother and my sister and what my brother had said when he was drawing that rune.

I turned to Jace and said, "It is in remembrance of my brother. Once, when we were at home in Idris and he was sitting at his little wooden desk in the corner of his room, I remember he said, 'If I die, I want you to draw this rune on your arm in remembrance of me and to show that you are proud of me, and if you die I will do the same thing for you.'" Jace smiled at me and then took my hand and led me out of the greenhouse.

By this time it was about 3am and everyone was asleep except from Grace, Maryse, me and Jace. Maryse and Grace were in the hallway talking about something but when they saw me approach they stopped talking. I entwined my fingers in Jace's and focused on walking past them, when suddenly Maryse caught hold of my wrist with my brothers rune on it. She turned my wrist over and then said, "I knew you could create new runes! What is this one for?" 

I turned to Maryse who was staring at my arm and then said, "This isn't a new rune, it is one my brother made for remembrance back in Idris."

She turned to look at Grace who nodded and then looked back at me and said, "Well, that is very sweet of you, but that rune shouldn't be on your arm because that is where shadow hunter runes should go." I nodded then appologised then walked down the hall laughing with Jace.