Where's Merlin?

Arthur woke up and stretched whilst ruffling his blonde hair. He slowly sat up and he could smell the breakfast that Merlin was preparing for him. The other knights were still asleep. He watched as Merlin stirred the food over the fire and how his blue eyes occasionally stared into the flames. Once the food had been cooked he rested the pan on the ground beside the fire and then stood up straight. Arthur watched as Merlin looked around their campsite and suddenly jerk his head towards the trees on his left. He stood there, motionless, until at last he walked towards them cautiously. Arthur noticed the worried expression on Merlin's face and he watched as he walked into the distance and disappeared amongst the trees. Where is he going? Probably collecting more firewood I guess but why? The breakfast is ready and we'll be leaving soon, Arthur thought. He decided to follow him. If he had heard something it's not safe to go alone unprotected. He grabbed his sword and stood up. He walked towards the trees and tried to find Merlin but he was gone. He had disappeared. He could hear the other knights beginning to wake up and talk amongst themselves. When they saw Arthur they immediately became curious so they walked over to him.

"Sire?" said Leon, looking confused like the others.

"I'm just checking something" said Arthur.

"Where's Merlin?" asked Gwaine.

"Who knows? I saw him walk over to here but I haven't seen him since."

"Perhaps he got lost" Gwaine joked and the others laughed.

Arthur smiled but said "this is serious. Why would Merlin have any reason to wander off on his own, especially when he knows Morgana is probably nearby waiting for us?"

"Merlin normally wanders off though Sire, it's not that unusual for him" Percival said and Elyan finished by saying "besides he's probably collecting herbs or wood. That's what he does." Arthur leaned against a tree and looked around.

"This is different though. I don't know why, it just feels different" said Arthur. Leon patted Arthur on the shoulder. "Don't worry sire. We'll find him. Come on boys" he said as he led the way through the forest.

"He might come back any second Sire. He's not been gone long has he?" Percival said which made all the knights including Leon face Arthur.

"No but like I said Morgana is out there somewhere. How can a clumsy servant like Merlin defend himself against Morgana? He's only just mastered the ability of carrying firewood without dropping it" Arthur stated and the others agreed.

"You have to give him some credit though. Despite his lack of weapons he's still survived this long and he's always stayed with you Arthur" Gwaine said as Arthur looked down at the ground thoughtfully.

"That's very true but he's always had us as well. Let's go" Arthur commanded.

"Ok but what about breakfast?" asked Gwaine.

"That can wait" replied Arthur.

"Oh" sighed Gwaine. "I guess Merlin is more important than food."

"I never thought you would say anything like that Gwaine" Percival joked.

"What about the fire" Elyan asked.

"Just leave it" Arthur said. "Remember, Gwaine could be right, after all, Merlin has just made breakfast so he can't be too far." All of them stopped. They could hear swords crashing against other swords and cries from men up ahead.

"Let's go!" Arthur ordered immediately.