Here to Help

Just as Merlin was about to shout something his eyes made contact with Arthur's. They were still full of betrayal and he wished that his friend would trust him again. "Arthur" Merlin began to say. He hadn't spoken directly to him that much since he knew the truth. "Arthur do I have your permission?"

"To use magic? You've already done that so why ask?" Arthur spoke emotionless.

"This is different. I want to be sure that you accept this and...do you trust me" Merlin said. Arthur was willing to agree with whatever magic Merlin was about to perform but the last comment made him think. Did he trust Merlin? Would he ever trust Merlin again? Arthur felt the stares of his loyal knights linger on his face but he continued to stare deep into Merlin's blue eyes. Despite everything, Arthur knew that somewhere, deep down he trusted Merlin but it would be a while before this feeling reached the surface again.

Arthur nodded and replied "I do." Instead of thinking about completely trusting Merlin he thought, I trust Merlin to save us.

"Ok everyone stay calm. Just remember he's here to help" Merlin told the knights before inhaling a large amount of air and shouting words of an ancient dialect. The pounding of wings could be heard above the trees and was getting louder. The knights immediately looked from Merlin to towards the sky and saw a tiny speck in the clouds. It grew bigger and they could make out its long body, wings and tail. The creature roared in a non-menacing way, almost like it was greeting them. That's when they realised what it was.

"A dragon" Arthur quietly said and the others watched with amazement. They weren't sure whether to be shocked, afraid or happy to see the magnificent creature above them. Like Merlin said, he was here to help so the knights had nothing to fear.

The dragon's wings flapped heavily but moved slower as he landed in the open field. It breathed deeply and spread its wings out one last time before folding them over his body. Merlin was gazing at the dragon with love in his eyes and a smile across his face and the dragon smiled back. Arthur still couldn't believe his eyes and he watched the dragon lean closer to Merlin.

"Greetings young warlock, it's been a while since we last spoke" the dragon breathed in a husky voice. "And I see you've got yourself into trouble again" he laughed.

"Yep same old stuff" Merlin joked.

"What's happened this time?"

"It's Morgana" Merlin answered simply. The dragon nodded.

"Ahh yes, I figured as such." Then Merlin explained to the dragon what had happened and when he mentioned Arthur, the dragon quickly glanced at him and then turned to face Merlin again.

"Morgana's magic grows stronger each day but there are consequences to such dark magic. One day the balance will be restored but for now young warlock, for now you must realise that you can defeat her...but not alone."

"I know that. I've already tried to kill her myself multiple times yet she manages to survive, just as I survive. I need help"

"There is power in numbers my friend. Morgana and Mordred stand alone. Perhaps the king knowing the truth about you was fate." He turned to face Arthur. "Everything that has happened has led you to this moment so that you can defeat Morgana together." He gave a look of encouragement to the knights and they nodded, unsure. Arthur shifted uncomfortably.

"If you don't mind me asking, who are you?" Arthur said. He was still bewildered by the appearance of this creature and he couldn't think of any explanation as to how it knew his servant. Typical, Merlin thought as he rolled his eyes at his friend's question. Arthur noticed but kept a straight face. The dragon simply laughed and it echoed around the forest.

"My name is Kilgharrah, and I'm the last of my kind."

"He's the dragon that attacked Camelot all those years ago. I freed him" Merlin added. This answer confused Arthur even more and he didn't think that was even possible.

"But I killed it..." Arthur's voice trailed off. He remembered that Merlin was with him that day and he didn't actually see the remains of the dragon. He trusted what Merlin had told him. He looked over at his servant who was now staring at the ground, ashamed that he had to lie so many times.

"Why did you summon me" Kilgharrah asked and Merlin snapped his head back up.

"I can't untie these ropes. My magic isn't strong enough alone."

"Then allow me to help young warlock." Both Merlin and the dragon used their magic on the ropes. Merlin muttered spells and his eyes glistened gold whereas the dragon gently breathed fire. He was careful to not touch the boy with the fiery flame. Arthur thought the dragon's breathe would set the rope alight but Morgana's magic was blocking that. Soon, the ropes around Merlin snapped and came loose so he could push them aside and stand up. His head still ached and his back was sore but that didn't matter now. He walked over to Arthur and he and the dragon repeated the process of untying the ropes. Once everyone was free they gathered around the dragon.

"Thank you Kilgharrah" Merlin smiled and the dragon nodded.

"Anytime." With that, the dragon nodded his head in goodbye and hoisted his body off the ground and flew away.

(Author: Hi hopefully you enjoyed this chapter! I tried to make the dragon sound like his character in the show:D I'm back at college tomorrow but I'll try to update when I can)