Destiny

Light streamed through a window and shone on the dusty floor. Merlin opened his eyes slowly and stretched slightly. He looked around and was confused for a second before realising he was back in his own chambers...with Arthur sat beside him. He was surprised to see the King resting on the chair instead of tending to his duties but he felt happy to see him.

Merlin sat up and felt no pain in his body. He smiled and threw a pillow at Arthur who woke up startled. He frowned as he awoke but as soon as he saw Merlin grinning at him he couldn't help but smile back.

"Merlin" he said and he leaned in to hug him.

"That's me" Merlin joked and hugged him back. "How long have a been asleep for?"

"Only about a day and a half, Gaius said it would be longer."

"What happened?"

"Mordred" Arthur said, full of hate. "He stabbed you and they got away. We tried but your safety is more important."

"I should have killed them" Merlin said a few seconds later but Arthur shook his head.

"There was nothing you could have done, not with your injuries. Besides, you're not a murderer Merlin" Arthur reassured.

"I could have done better! My magic is much stronger than hers. I have been so close to killing her, both of them even, in the past. I was warned about Mordred and what he'd become but I ignored the dragon when I should have killed him as a boy." Arthur was still not used to Merlin discussing magic in front of him but he nodded and listened.

"Perhaps it's because you see the good in people and anyway, I wouldn't expect anyone to kill a child, especially you Merlin."

"I could have helped Morgana too. I've failed you" Merlin said, looking down and feeling ashamed.

"Don't think like that. With or without your help she could've ended up as the same corrupted, evil person."

"I suppose."

"Why did you come to Camelot?" Arthur asked intrigued and Merlin looked at him for a few seconds. "You could have gone anywhere with your gifts but you chose to stay here and be my manservant."

"I didn't have much of a choice really" Merlin laughed slightly. "My mum wanted Gaius to help me and then when I saved you at the feast, the dragon was right. It's my destiny to protect you Arthur". He looked up and saw the King staring at him with such admiration.

"If it's your destiny to protect me then you haven't failed at all. I'm still alive" Arthur smiled and Merlin smiled slightly too.

"But Morgana and Mordred-"

"Their lives aren't tied to yours" Arthur interrupted. "You can't be expected to run around after everyone can you." Merlin nodded and felt much better. Arthur was right and Merlin needed to accept things the way they were.