Heal My Friend

"I can't see them" Leon said as he peered through the trees. Even if he could there would be no point going after them due to the fire.

"Is the king alright?" Percival yelled from across the clearing. Elyan, who was kneeling next to Arthur, looked up and told everyone he was ok and then he helped his King to stand. As soon as Arthur was up on two legs he rushed to his servant's side.

"Merlin?" Arthur said as he gently shook his friend. "Merlin!" he said once more with an authoritative tone. His eyes began to fill with tears as he pleaded for his friend to wake up but nothing happened. Gwaine was beside Merlin as well and tears were already rolling down his face. His eyes met Arthur's gaze and he shook his head slowly. "He's not going to wake up, not without help! We need to take him back to Camelot" Gwaine said. Arthur nodded.

"Prepare the horses, we leave immediately" Arthur ordered. His hands were still pressed against Merlin's body from when he tried to wake him and when he removed them, they were stained with blood. Arthur stared at his hands and they began to shake and he couldn't think clearly. This can't be happening! I can't lose him, Arthur thought. He didn't realise it until now that his greatest fear wasn't Morgana or Mordred or being a failure of a King, it was losing Merlin.

"Sire we have to leave now" Leon said as he snapped Arthur out of his thoughts.

"Maybe I can be of some assistance" an echoing voice sounded from behind them. The men had forgotten that the great dragon was still there.

"You" Arthur started as he got up and marched over to the dragon. "You can fix this! Save Merlin's life! I know you have the power to do so." The dragon simply stared at the King with an expressionless face.

"Yes as the matter of fact I do have the power and I have already saved Merlin more times than you can imagine."

"You have?" Arthur said, shocked at the dragon's statement and so were the others.

"It's true. Merlin has risked his life so many times for you Arthur." Kilgharrah stepped forwards slightly and nudged Merlin's body with his snout. "With time he shall heal" he said and everyone let out a sigh of relief.

"How much time?" Arthur said, still concerned for his friend.

"I can prevent further damage to his body and heal him but unfortunately I cannot fully heal his wounds. He'll make it back to Camelot where Gaius can continue treatment".

"That still doesn't answer my question" Arthur said and the dragon laughed slightly.

"Be patient young Pendragon. Now leave me to tend to my dragon lord." The men nodded and began to gather twigs for a fire whilst Arthur knelt by Merlin's side.

"You're going to be ok; you hear me? You're going to be ok" Arthur whispered and he patted his friend on the back slightly. Before he left he stared at Merlin's face and then checked his heart rate by putting his fingers gently on his friend's neck. Arthur close his eyes and held his breath, praying that he would survive this. As he walked away he kept picturing Merlin's pale face, his lifeless form and his cold skin. His blood was still smudged on Arthur's hands and he couldn't bear to look at them. He kept thinking that if Merlin wasn't magical, if he was a normal guy he would be dead by now. Luckily he was a powerful sorcerer with a dragon as a friend and he realised that he was thankful that magic existed. Magic may have corrupted Morgana in the past but it was the reason why himself, his knights and his friend were still alive and strong!