Chapter t w e n t y - t h r e e

Landon's POV:

Today was the boys big game. I was going of course, so was Aubrey. Levi said he couldn't for unnamed reasons but I just shrugged it off. Nothing was going to spoil today. Not for me, not for James. Today was going to be perfect.

I had it all planned in my head how it would go. First the boys would play flawlessly and win by at least 3 points. Then we would all go to an after party and celebrate. Then after the party was over we would go to Mitchell's house and I would tell him that I am ready to be with him and that Chandler and I are done.

The whole morning I floated around the room. You know that wonderful feeling when you have a new crush? That's how I felt now. Life was good.

My mom was home, and hadn't had any alcohol for a few days. She was acting nicer and trying to be supportive of James. That made everyone else happier and there seemed to be a calm essence. My mom had even bought James a new phone a few days ago. Hooray.

James was paranoid. He always is before a game. He woke me up at 5 and had me help him work out. But I didn't mind. I was happy.

I was packing his duffle bag with all his hockey necessities, jersey, shorts, pads, stick, water bottle, stick tape, mouth guard, etc. when Levi walked by with a GoPro camera in his hand.

I looked at his questioningly, I didn't know he had a GoPro.

"Levi, where did you get that?" I asked giddily.

"It's my friend Kyles, old one" he replied nonchalantly. I shrugged. I had met Kyle about a week ago, he was really nice and chill.

"You should have them over again sometime," I suggested, cheerfully before skipping to James, and my room to find his helmet, which always seemed to be out of place.

When I got back Levi, and his car were gone.

"Hey Landon, I won't be able to make it to James game, I have an argent work meeting." My mom said sadly. "I have to leave now, but tell him I said 'goodluck' okay?" With that she was gone.

When James got back from his run, I told him what our mom said. He wasn't upset at all, I think part of us both knew she wouldn't go. But at least she was acting nicer.

"Okay, well, your practice starts in half an hour so I figure we should go pick up Mitchell" I said looking at my watch.

He nodded, threw his stuff into the trunk of my car, and hopped in the passengers seat.

From: Landon
To: Mitch
Hey, we are on our way be there in 10.

Once we got to Mitchell's house he was already standing outside with his duffle bag in hand. He ran to the car.

"Hurry hurry" he said

"Mitch, we're gonna be 10 minutes early," I replied laughing at his paranoia.