Chapter t h i r t y

Landon's POV:

I woke up on an uncomfortable couch. A familiar smell of axe and cigarets filled my nose. I rubbed my eyes and then realized that I had a massive headache. I groaned.

"Hey sleepyhead" said a soft voice that made my heart ache almost as much as my head. I peeled open my eyes to see a foggy eyed Chandler looking at me softly. Last night rushed into my head. I groaned again.

"Hey Chandler" I responded "did we... you know," I asked praying that we hadn't. He shook his head and his lips turned down.

"You said we were done and I respect that." He said quietly. I nodded and sat up slowly. "Do you need a ride home?" He asked. I nodded sheepishly. My car was still at the party. He smiled sadly and then walked out the front door to his car. I followed behind.

I wondered why Chandler was being so nice to me. He was usually an dickwad with a stick up his ass. But I didn't let it fool me. We were done and that was that.

When I got home both my mom and James were gone. Aubrey was in her room crying. There was glass on the floor of the kitchen and it smelled like vodka. I picked Aubrey up and put her on my hip. She hugged me tight.

"Baby what happened?" I asked her quietly in the softest voice I could muster.

"James came home and then mom started screaming and I don't know what happened I was in my room but then there was a smash and then James left." She began barely able to talk through her sobs. "Then mom came into my room and told me she was leaving and left"

I ran my fingers through her curly hair.

"It's okay sweetheart, mom and James will be home soon, don't worry, it's gonna be okay I promise" I cooed as I pulled out my phone to text everyone.

From: Landon
To: Levi, Jamison, Madison, Mitchell, Noel, and Oliver.
I just got home. James and my mom are gone. They left Aubrey here by herself. There's glass on the floor and it smells like vodka. Get here ASAP.

I hit send and then started making Aubrey some cereal.

From: Landon
To: James
Where are you!?

Just as I sent that a phone buzzed on the counter and my heart sank. James had left his phone here.

It was about ten minutes later that I received a response from any of my friends.

From: Levi
To:Landon
Madison and I will be there in ten minutes.

Levi and Madison were together? Whatever.

From: Mitchell
To: Landon
Shit, I'm on my way.

From: Noel
To: Landon
He didn't stop here, I'm at my cottage so I can't come over though.

Chandler started to clean up the glass shards on the floor. I completely forgot he was there until a quiet curse word escaped his lips as he accidentally cut his finger.

"Oh Chandler you can go home if you want," I said quickly. He shook his head.

"I have nothing to do today, and it looks like you could use some help" he offered. I looked at his perplexed. He chuckled and then went back to picking up the glass.

The door flew open, I saw a worried looking Madison with one of Levi's long gangly arms draped around her holding he close. Madison looked like she hadn't got much sleep. Her blond hair was a tangled mess, and she had little puffs under her eyes. Yet she somehow managed to look cute.

"Hey guys, have either of you seen James?" I asked fearfully. Trying to ignore the way that Levi was looking at Madison, so... Lovingly. Ew.

"No," Madison responded. She hiccuped quietly. I could understand why she was crying. James would never just leave Aubrey by herself. Maybe something bad had happened to him.

"He left his phone here," I muttered. Pointing to the counter. Then Mitchell hopped out of his moms car and booked up to the door with... Abigail. My knees weakened, but I tried not to seem phased.

"What is going on?" Mitchell asked nervously. I opened my mouth to respond but Chandler cut in and explained everything. Mitchell flinched the second he saw Chandler. I wondered if he felt a tad bit jealous but then he squeezed Abigail's hand tighter.