Chapter 11

I had been crying for almost an hour, until my eyes were completely dry. Zayn was still sat on the floor, unable to look at me. I couldn’t look at him either – I was curled up on the couch, fiddling with my hands.

“I am a terrible person.” I whispered to myself. A minute of silence passed before Zayn announced,

“Perrie and I broke up.”

My head snapped up to look at him.

“What did you say?”

“Perrie and I. We broke up.” I didn’t know what to say. I wasn’t sorry that they had – it made what I’d done seem less disgusting.

“Why?”

He grimaced and his cheeks went slightly pink. He tried to shrug it off. “It doesn’t matter why. That’s why she went back home. I was gonna do this painting and give it to her to ask if we could get back together. But today I realised,” he looked up at me, “I don’t really want to.” I stared at him blankly, not sure if he meant what I thought he meant.

“Why don’t you want to?” I asked bluntly.

“Isn’t it obvious?” I shook my head. He sighed and turned back to picking at the carpet. “You. I don’t want to get back with her because of you.”

“No.” I said flatly. “No, no, no. I’m not doing this. Not now. I can’t do this right now!” I got up from my place and ran up the stairs, into his room. I pulled on my sweater and jeans after getting his sweats off me as quickly as possible.

When I returned downstairs Zayn was stood, holding out my Docs to me. I took them, paying attention to not brushing his skin so I wouldn’t feel the spark, and sat down to pull them on. Zayn stood awkwardly by the couch, saying nothing. When I had my shoes on I grabbed my coat and reached for the front doorknob.

“What’re you doing?” Zayn asked. “There’s no taxis.”

“Then I’ll take the fucking tube.”

“You’ll be recognised. It isn’t safe.” Zayn said worriedly. He placed his hand on my arm to stop me. I gasped and shook him off. Even in the current situation I noticed the small smirk on his lips from knowing his touch ensued that reaction from me. I hated how easily my body responded to him and his stupid smirk just made me want to slap his face.

“I’ll take my chances.” I spat and I yanked the door open, slamming it as I exited.

* * * 

Perrie returned from Newcastle the next day.

I had been curled up on my bed, wondering how I was going to disappoint everyone again when I had heard the key turn and the front door swing open. I carefully made my way downstairs, my heart pounding in my chest. I knew I had to tell Perrie the truth but it wasn’t the easiest conversation to start. 

I reached the bottom step only to let out a shrill cry of,

“OH MY SHIT!”

Perrie turned to face me. Her hair was divided into two vivid shades of hot pink, the lower half darker than the top. On her nose was a glimmering stud. Her eyes were rimmed in black.

“Perrie, your hair! Your nose!” I stuttered in shock. She smirked.

“There’s more.” She turned around and held up her hair. The back of her neck was also pierced. I gasped loudly.

“Why?” I asked. She shrugged.

“Felt like a change. Now that everything else is different why not my appearance as well?”