Chapter 12

“Wait, so he just left?”

“Yes, Leigh, I just said that.”

I heard Zayn sigh exasperatedly across the call. It was the morning after I’d told Harry and Zayn had called me to inform me on the situation.

“I just – I don’t understand. Explain exactly what happened.” I demanded. Zayn sighed again and repeated,

“Well, he got here yesterday afternoon and didn’t say a word. But he hugged me then proper, like, bawled into my shoulder. Then I took him to the couch were he fell asleep. This morning he woke up all puffy faced and I offered him tea or something but he just got up and left without saying a word to me. It was weird. He seemed very…determined though.”

I frowned.

“Determined to do what?”

“Dunno.” I could almost hear the shrug in his voice. When it became clear he wasn’t going to continue I sighed and said,

“Well let’s just hope he doesn’t do anything stupid.” Zayn grunted in agreement. “Alright. Bye, Zayn.”

“Wait!” he cried. I started.

“What is it?” I asked.

“I – I’m sorry, Leigh.” He exhaled.

“Zayn, don’t - ”

“No, Leigh.” He cut me off. “I’m sorry for getting you into this mess – for getting us into this mess. But for what it’s worth, I think you’re worth it.”

I pressed my lips together and squeezed my eyes shut.

“Bye, Zayn.” I whispered.

Harry’s POV

My knuckles turned ghostly white as I gripped the steering wheel, swerving through the streets of London. My jaw was clenched and I focused solely on the road ahead of me. As I drove, images of Zayn and Leigh-Anne swirled in my head. They fuelled my rage and that was what kept the tears at bay, kept me driving to my destination, kept me motivated to do what I was about to do. 

I didn’t know why I’d gone to Zayn. He was the reason for this anyway. Yet he was my best friend, the one person who always understood me and who could always comfort me. I hadn’t realised I was driving to his place until I’d rang the bell and he’d opened the door, with an expression of worry, fear and hopefulness all mixed into one. I knew I didn’t blame him. He was definitely partly to blame, but I didn’t blame him. At least I wasn’t upset at him. I didn’t want him to feel how I felt. Which was why I was doing this. 

I pulled up in the driveway and hopped out of the car. Three quick strides and I was at the door. I rapped multiple times on the door and rang the bell until it swung open, revealing an alarmed and slightly annoyed face.

“Harry, what’re you-”

I cut her off by pressing my lips to hers.

Jade’s POV

I pulled the door open, ready to give the visitor a lesson in our Geordie dialect, only to be greeted by a ruffled Harry.

“Harry, what’re you-”

But before I could finish his lips were on my own. For so long I’d imagined this moment yet right now it felt sickening and the wetness of his tongue trying to force its way into my mouth enraged me. I drew my hand back and slapped him right across the face. He stumbled backwards, shocked as I fervently wiped my mouth. Just then Jack joined us.

“Babe, is everything alright?” he asked slipping his arm around my waist. Harry looked from me to Jack, to his arm around my waist and back and comprehension dawned on him.