Chapter 6 - The Built-Up

The next morning, I wake up with an uneasy feeling in my stomach. Tonight I suppose to have a date with Cara and I am not sure if she remembers. Maybe it was just a harmless flirting and she didn't really mean it. Should I just go with it and knock on her hotel room tonight? Or should I just let it go? Let her go? It would be embarrassing if I show up totally unexpected and unwanted. I guess my ego wouldn't survive that scenario. I spent my time with doing nothing important that morning. Anything to take off my mind from her. I went for a jog at Central Park. I even watched the news. I've never watched the news before. It's the most boring thing ever. So I decided that I needed help.

I have a coffee with my best buddy, Amy. I tell her everything that happened with Cara. Her reaction is priceless. Her eyes widened in disbelief and her mouth hangs open. She isn't able to form words for a moment. Then she bursts out.

"What? Really? You met Cara Delevingne? The Cara?"

"Yup." I grin proudly. "The one and only. And God, she's hot."

"Of course she is!" Amy waves her hand impatiently. "And you have a date with her tonight?"

"I guess so. Though I'm not so sure anymore."

She lifts up a finger, then snaps it in front of my face repeatedly as if waking me up from a dream. "Uh, hello? A hot supermodel wants to go on a date with you and you're not sure about it? Really? Come on, Jess. Grow a pair and call her!" She points at my phone. "Go on, call her!" Such a bossy woman she is.

"Okay, fine. I'll call her."

"Call her now."

"Geez. Okay, mom." I pick up my phone and search through my contacts for her number. I shift uncomfortably in my seat as I wait for Cara to pick up.

"Hello?" Her voice sounds groggy, like she just wakes up.

"Hey, Cara. It's me, Jess. Did I wake you up?"

"Yeah, but it's okay. What's up?" A lack of excitements. Not a good sign.

"Um, I'm just wondering," I pause, changing my mind. Maybe this is not a good idea. But a pointed look from Amy makes me spill. "I'm just wondering if we're still on for tonight?"

"Huh? Tonight?" Oh, shit, shit, shit. She forgets. I'm so going to kill Amy for this.

"Um, yeah. You said we'll go out tonight? I pick you up at seven?"

A long pause from Cara. I expect her to shoot me down now. Okay, here we go.

"Oh, yeah. Totally forgot about that. Sorry. Of course."

"Really? You'll go out with me?"

She's laughing now. "Of course, silly. I was looking for you last night, you know. Thanks for the roses."

"No problem, Cara. Um, it's okay if you want to cancel. Probably you're tired or already made other plan. I'm fine, really."

"No, I want to see you. Stop trying to change my mind," she laughs again. "Hey, is it okay if we just hang out in my room tonight? You're right. I'm really tired today, but I want to see you." She sounds hopeful. Score!

"No, it's perfect. Want me to bring some food there?" I cannot stop myself from grinning so wide. Cara actually wants to see me!

"No, it's okay. Let's just order room service later."

"Okay, see you later. Have a great day, Cara."

"You too, Jess."

I put my phone down and grin at Amy. I lift my hand up, demanding a high five from her. "It. Is. On!"