Chapter 43 - Fairy Tale Does Exist (Jess' POV)

It's our one year anniversary. It is really crazy how fast the time flies away. Sophie has been acting really secretive for the past two weeks and I can sense that something's up. I've been trying to get it out of her for days, but she only dismissed it with that wicked grin of hers. She only said, "Patience, love." Every single time. Dammit. She even had the nerve to bug me with these little hints here and there that she dropped whenever I decided that I didn't want to know about it anymore. She was like, "So you don't wanna know about the flight that I booked for our anniversary? Yeah? Cool." Man, that girl really can be annoying sometimes. Fine. She can have her secrets. I'll have mine too. With her doing something for our anniversary, I figured that I should be doing something special too. It would be a good distraction too, something to keep me busy.

Talking about distractions, I got another of it last week. Something I am not so sure that is a good or bad thing. Months after our last meeting, Cara finally broke the silence between us and sent me a text message. She said, "I am sorry for being such a jerk that day. I've changed my mind. I'd like for us to be friends. It's better than being nothing to you. So, friends?"

Upon receiving her message, I stared at my phone screen for seconds, not really sure how to react to her text. There she goes again, I thought. I hated and loved the fact that she kept coming back into my life equally. I tried to not read too much into the situation, thinking that the universe was sending me a sign or something. It's just something that exes do. Keep in touch. But then, my inner voice talked back at me, "if it's oh-so-innocent friendship, why didn't you tell Sophie about it?" Like every girl who's so deep in denial, I ordered that voice to shut the hell up. I'll tell her when the time is right, which is probably never. Sophie would be pissed if she knows. It's not like I'm going to be besties with Cara or anything. We only swappped a couple text message for the past days. Catching up with our respective lives. Only a couple text here and there, right? It's nothing. Completely harmless.

I was picking up my anniversary gift for Sophie when my phone rang. I looked at the Caller ID and found Cara's name there. She never called me after we broke up, only text messages and a couple of snapchats. Intrigued, I picked up the call. "Hey, Cara. What's up?"

"Hey, Jess." Muffled car honks and conversations in the background, it was hard to hear her voice. "Wanna grab a coffee?"

"Huh? What's the occasion?" I guess it was a bit rude of me to ask her that. Like we can't hang if there's nothing major going on. Oh, well.

"Got a free time. You came up in mind," she sounded a bit hurt by my question. "So, do you wanna?"

"Yeah, sure. Let's go to my usual place. You know, the one where we met accidentally last month?"

"Okay. Be there in a half hour. See ya." With that, she hang up. I only shook my head and turned around to get to the cafe.

A half hour later, I sat across Cara while stirring my cup of coffee. She looked good. Gone was all the sullen mood that plastered all over her face the last time we met. Her face radiated by her usual easy smile and unfaltering confidence. It was more like the Cara that I knew of.

"Just went shopping?" She cleared her throat and nodded her head at the gift bag that I put on the table in front of me.

I shifted my gaze away from her face to follow her gaze. Well, this would be so awkward to explain. "Yup. I actually just picked it up when you called."

"Seemed like a fancy gift," she said while eyeing the cute baby blue box with a bow on it. "Something for Sophie?"

"Yeah, it's our first anniversary next week." I honestly didn't know how to say that to Cara. If I look so happy, it would hurt her feelings. But if I pretend like it's nothing, then she would thought that I wasn't that happy about it. Befriending your ex is confusing as hell, I must say.