Chapter 16 - The Art of Falling in Love

"Tell me something about yourself that you've never told anybody else before."

Cara sits across of me, her hands on her chin, her eyes sparkle with mischievous glint. I cannot take my eyes off of her, undeniably beautiful as she always has. Her dazzling smile, which she has been generously showered me with the whole night, makes me hard to concentrate and function properly tonight. My ambitious plan to sway her with my charm and wits is failed miserably. I am starstruck, if it's not lovestruck.

"Huh? Sorry?" I didn't quite get her question as I was intently looking at her green eyes, wondering how it feels to have those eyes looking back at you the first time in the morning.

She smirks teasingly, "God, you're acting like a teenage boy tonight, unable to hear and look at the same time."

"Blame yourself for being so beautiful tonight."

"Charmer," she scoffs. "I was asking you to tell me something about yourself that you've never told anybody else before."

I play with my spoon as I'm considering her question. Well, that's not difficult. I am usually a reserved person, not easily open up to another person. I love secrets. I love being the mysterious one in a group of friends. It enables me to disappear and come back whenever I want. All of my close friends understand that I need my space and I enjoy my solitude. They call it as my self defense mechanism. If nobody close enough to hurt you, you'll be spare from the pain. And it works.

"I've never fell in love," I admit.

"Not even once?" She looks kind of surprised by my statement. I shake my head. No. Not even once. Although maybe I'm already on my way for the first.

"But what you said before," she pauses. She looks at me questioningly, which I respond with a shy smile. Then a gasp. "Wait, are you telling me that," she shoots me another look. She points downward, "is this the very first time you feel something close to love to anyone?"

Another nod from me. Then she shakes her head in disbelief. "When you had your speech before, about falling for me and all of that, I thought that you're that kind of girl. You know," she tilts her head. Adorable. "The one who falls easily, the hopeless romantic kind of person. But, wow. I've never expected this."

She leans back to her seat. "I don't know if I have to feel flattered or what."

"Flattered that my dysfunctional heart is finally working properly for you?" I am amused at her cute reactions.

"That too. And how much serious this looks like now." Damn, I think I scared her. I am about to say something to control the damage, but she beats me into it. "But why? Why me? Why now?"

I cannot believe what I just heard. *Why me? God, has she seen herself? Does she forget who the hell she is?* She is one of the most beautiful women in this world. And with an incredible personality too. Nobody's heart would stand a chance for not falling for this girl. But as I look into her searching eyes, I know that she needs more than that for me. She needs more than someone who is dazzled by her beauty.

"Why? I don't know. I guess that's the point of falling. It's unpredictable. Flips your world upside down. It happened so fast, you cannot understand it at first but then it hit you. And you hit me real hard, Cara." I smile and take her hand, while still holding her gaze. "I was already a goner the minute you walked into my life."

She doesn't say a word for a long time. A lot of emotions are showing in her face. I pray to all of the gods in this world to not let her bolt away from me this moment. I'm afraid what she would run for her life after my bold statement. But the damage is already done.

"Wow." She finally speaks. "You're awfully romantic for someone who doesn't fall in love easily."

"Well, maybe I was saving them for someone special," I say that with a playful wink.

"Are we still talking about your romantic words or we already switched to another topic?"

"Oh, I don't know. What I do know is that somebody promised me a dessert for tonight."

"Ah, that." A teasing smile is playing on her lips. "I think that we should save that for later."

My smile disappear instantly. "But, why?"

She arches an eyebrow and gives me a pointed look. "I want to do this properly. I'd like to get to know you better before," she wiggles her eyebrows playfully, "you know."

"Ah, I see." I have to admit that I am extremely disappointed by the news. But I understand what she meant. I want this to be special too. Hell, I want this to last forever. "Okay, let's do that."