Chapter 6

My stomach was filled with dread.

The morning passed by quickly, riding through the forest at a fast pace our horses never tiring. There was no time for sightseeing and I was disappointed as my first view of the forest was simply a blur of green. Kheelan told me he would show me the forest another time but he'd received a message that morning from his brother.

Apparently the Queen was doubtful of his return and had given him until noon to present his new bride. We rode hard and fast, like the dogs of hell were on our heels.

In a way, they kind of were.

Alpin's paw had healed quickly overnight, no trace of the wound visible when I expected it this morning. He now ran with us, easily keeping up with the horses. I looked behind us to see him loping behind us, his tongue hanging out of his mouth with joy.

When my face turned to him he gave a small bark and ran faster.

As we rode, Kheelan tried to explain proper etiquette and how I must address the Queen.

Basically, the less I said the better.

The Captain had yet to grace me with so much as a good morning. I still wasn't sure about him, I just hoped he would keep his word to Kheelan.

It wasn't long before we were riding through the entrance to the court, creeping vines covering the walls with beautiful white flowers blooming. There was no large buildings, or towers. In fact it didn't look like a court at all. It looked more like a large garden. If I had been passing by I might have completely missed it.

The smell of Daphne filled my senses but rather than feeling sickened by it, it felt rather welcoming.

Like I was coming home.

We stopped at two doors where two guards stood. The doors were void of plants, but vines and roses were carved into them, speckled with what I guessed to be gold.

In their uniforms and their blonde hair, the guards appeared almost identical, though the one on the right had blue eyes and the one on the left had brown eyes.

When Kheelan dismounted they both stood to attention and bowed, before saluting the Captain. Helping me down, Kheelan looked worried for the first time.

"I'll go in first,' he said quietly. "I will make your introduction and then Drake will guide you in."

My fear must have been visible as he smiled at me reassuringly. I grabbed his hand anxiously as he turned away.

"What are the chances of this going badly?"

He just continued smiling but I could tell the smile was only for show.

"I'd say the chances were stacked against us." he said truthfully.

The men opened the door and Kheelan walked in, the doors shutting loudly behind him.

------------

Waiting was torture.

Nobody spoke or moved. The guards were like statues, staring straight ahead. They never moved an inch. I was tempted to see if I could get them to move like they tried to do in England. The Captain stood behind me and I doubted I'd get any conversation out of him.

I heard a howl and looked back.

Alpin sat at the entrance watching us sadly. Kheelan told me we couldn't bring him in with us, saying the Queen would not allow a Cù Sith in the court. I wondered how I could ask the Queen to let me have him in the court.

Still looking at Alpin, I jumped when hands covered mine.

The Captain watched me calmly, his eyes looked almost kind.