Chapter 29

There are moments in your life when you feel like you've hit rock bottom and there's no way you can climb out of that hole. Walking back to Kheelan's house, hands tied, with the Queen and Sal behind me, I felt like I was beneath that hole with no tools to dig myself out.

I didn't know what to do. I felt numb at what had just happened. Sal had muttered an apology as he tied my hands together but it didn't register. All I saw was the Queen's self satisfied smile and I felt lost.

Ambrus and Kheelan were outside the house, discussing something as we approached. I don't think I've ever seen faces turn so white as quick as theirs did.

"Mother," Kheelan choked out. His eyes were on me but I was giving nothing away. I couldn't react anymore.

The Queen ignored her son and spoke to Ambrus, "Ah, Sir Ambrus, would you be a dear and help Sal watch over my prisoner? I have something I need to discuss with my son and Lady Sorcha."

At the mention of Sorcha's name, Kheelan's face though emotionless grew whiter. He glanced to me again. "Mother, untie her. She is no prisoner."

"I suppose to you she is no prisoner," her voice was cold, "but only a decoy used to trick me. I see this as a crime and therefore the punishment shall be just. Now, step inside and tell Lady Sorcha to make herself known."

With a final glance in our direction, Kheelan turned and stepped inside, the Queen followed behind and the door shut quietly.

Once it was closed, Ambrus reacted. "Heavens, Laila, what the hell happened? Where's Drake?"

I felt my despair sink deeper at his name. "He left after I told him the truth. Said he needed time to think."

My voice was monotone, I think my body had gone on autopilot to keep functioning. Ambrus stepped closer. "You told him the truth? But your deal -"

"I decided to tell him. I knew what I was doing and that I was breaking my vow. I couldn't lie though, I'm sick of lying and I love Drake, I don't want to cause him anymore pain."

Sal placed his hand on my shoulder, his accent thick. "We overheard whole conversation, though I suspect the Queen already know of this. I returned from Crystal Mountains after not finding your father and Queen is waiting for me. She trick me by using false informants. I am sorry for this, Miss Laila, I do not wish to tie you up."

"It's alright, Sal," I spoke softly, "it's not your fault."

"What on earth?"

My spine stiffened at the new voice and Drake moved close to me. I was so glad Eva was still at Lady Maurelle's. I don't think I could cope with seeing her disappointed face too. Kalen had gone to collect her this morning though so it wouldn't be long before everyone knew the truth.

"Why is Laila tied up? What are you doing, Sal?" Drake demanded.

Sal explained what had happened and Drake's face turned to stone. I felt his eyes on me but I refused to look up. I couldn't bear it if I saw disgust or hate there. Drake tried to move in front of me and catch my gaze. "Laila -"

"It's alright, Drake. I knew something like this might happen and I'm prepared to face the consequences." I wasn't but I felt the need to put on a brave face. I wanted to smile, to let them know I really was fine but my mouth refused to move. It was as if I was only functioning enough to walk and respond.

I saw Drake's hand move toward me and I took a step back, bumping into Sal. I didn't have to look at Drake to know he flinched. "Sorry, Drake, it's probably best you try and pretend there was nothing between us. The Queen will probably forgive you if you do."