Chapter 28

"You know we will actually have to train sooner or later."

"No we don't, you proved you're more than capable of fighting."

"You say that now but when the next dragon comes by you'll be the first one telling me to run."

Training had come to a standstill since fighting the Dragon. Three days had passed and training time was now spent doing things which were certainly more...enjoyable.

We lay somewhere in forest, near the border of Kheelan's territory. I was half draped over Drake, our legs tangled together and my head rested on his chest, listening to his heartbeat. His hand was tracing patterns on my back.

We seemed to have developed a pattern of our own; one of us would start arguing about something and then we would make up for it, for hours at a time. The first day it had been the question of my virginity. Drake was by no means my first, sadly that had gone to some jock whose name I can't remember. In my defence I was at a party and crazy drunk, trying to drown out all the creatures I was pretending not to see.

Drake made a huge deal out of it which led to both of us being late for dinner. I'm not sure if the others knew what was happening but I tried not to be too obvious. Drake of course had his faery like aloofness which he could turn on and off at the drop of a hat.

I, on the other hand had the ability to lie so I went with that. I was actually improving though it's not something I was really proud of.

Drake moved his hand up my spine and into my hair, which felt fantastic. "We should get back. You have to help with dinner."

"I hate cooking," I muttered.

Drake turned my head up and kissed me gently. "So do I. Should we go hungry instead?"

I grinned, pushing him away and stood up before he could grab me. "As tempting as that sounds, I think we need to make an appearance."

Drake grumbled and stood up, dusting off his pants. I couldn't help but giggle as he sulked.

He caught me grinning. "What?"

I shook my head. "Nothing, you're cute when you sulk."

"I do not sulk!"

"Agree to disagree."

We walked back, hands entwined. "So, you're enjoying your time in Faery?" Drake asked.

The question surprised me. "Of course. I have to admit I hated it at first but it's really started to grow on me. For many different reasons."

Drake squeezed my hand. "So you aren't tempted to go back?"

I saw where he was going now. He was worried I didn't want to stay. "I have nothing back home. My mother died a few years ago and I have no other family and no friends. It's hard to make friends when people think you're weird telling invisible beings to bugger off."

"How did your mother die?"

Thinking of my mother, I smiled sadly. "She had early onset Alzheimer's. It's a disease which makes you slowly forget everything and everyone you know."

"That sounds terrible. Did she forget you?"

"Sometimes. It was hard, seeing her on those days and how she treated me like a complete stranger. But she remembered some things too. She was starting to remember dad."

"She was glamoured then, after your father was...taken?"

Drake was breaching dangerous waters but I let him, wanting to get everything off my chest. "That's right. It was so hard growing up, remembering my dad and who he was. She didn't remember him at all though, she used to think I was delusional. I used to try and make her remember but in the end, I gave up. It was too hard on her and even harder for me."