Chapter 7

"You're a dead man!" I hissed grabbing the closest statue I could find.

Kheelan ducked effortlessly as I threw the small statue in his direction. "Look, I'm sorry Laila but this was a possibility. In all honesty, it could have been worse.

We were now standing in what was to be my prison, although Kheelan said it was more of a bedroom. It was just the two of us and I wasn't hesitating in voicing my displeasure.

"How could it be worse?" I exclaimed. "I have to spend time in the Seelie court, alone and surrounded by Fae who don't like me, one of those being your mother!"

"What are you talking about?" Kheelan asked confused. "Mother liked you."

My head whipped up in shock. "Get out of town! She did not!"

"She did. She even said she wouldn't judge you for your father's mistakes. That means she likes you."

I lifted my hand, another statue at the ready. "My father's mistakes? Are you saying that loving my mother was a mistake?"

"Well, yes obviously -"

He didn't finish that sentence as the statue left my hand and he ducked, letting it hit the stone wall behind him. It smashed into a thousand pieces, dust floated through the air. I had a moment of guilt but it quickly passed.

"What were you saying?" I asked dangerously.

Kheelan lightly dusted his shoulder, removing imaginary dust. "Nothing important. But Laila, you need to learn to control that temper of yours. You pull something like that with anyone else but me? You won't live to see the next sunrise."

His words dampened my anger.

"You forget, I am still a prince of this court and your father is considered a traitor. Today will not be the last time they remind you of this. You would do well to remember that and learn to control your feelings."

I fell silent, my anger gone.

I hated him so much for being right. I needed to control my temper. If they knew how to rile me, they would and then this would all be for nothing.

Images of my father, flashed in my mind, hardening my resolve.

I have to do this.

"I'm sorry,' I said quietly. "I will try. How long will you be gone?"

Kheelan shrugged. "I'm not sure, the last treaty talks took nearly six months, so give or take a few weeks."

I looked at him, blinking in disbelief.

"Six months?" My voice rose, anger control forgotten. "Are you serious? They will kill me!"

Kheelan laughed as if I'd mentioned how abnormal the weather was today. "No they won't your stronger than most of them anyway. Why do you think I chose you? Anyway you'll have Kalen here to look out for you and Drake has promised to protect you."

Hearing the Captain's name I felt confused. "Shouldn't Drake be going with you?"

"No, he's not needed there. I'll be taking some men with me and it's only talks. There have never been any acts of violence at talks in the past. I have requested that Drake remain here and it was agreed upon."

"So, when do you leave?"

He hesitated. "First thing tomorrow morning."

I started looking for another statue when a knock sounded on the door.

Suddenly Kheelan was in front of me, hand on my mouth.

"Calm yourself." He hissed. Stepping back, he removed his hand before saying calmly, "Enter."

The door opened and Kheelan's younger clone walked in. His eyes still held that mischievous glint.

"Ah,' he said grinning, "Don't tell me the happy couple are already fighting? That's not a good sign you know."

"Enough,' Kheelan snapped in annoyance. "Laila, allow me to introduce my brother Kalen. He'll look out for you while I'm gone."

"I'm filled with relief," I said sarcastically.

Kheelan sighed. "You'll have to forgive her, Kalen. She's not in a good mood after meeting mother."

Kalen just laughed. "I've yet to meet anyone who is. Don't worry Laila, she'll grow on you."

He chuckled at my look of disbelief. "I like her," he spoke to Kheelan. "She's got fire."

"She, is in the room jackass and she doesn't like being spoken about like she's not here!" I snapped angrily.

"We are going to have so much fun." He grinned.

Another knock sounded on the door and I groaned. What now?

"Enter." Both princes commanded.

The Captain walked in and two ladies followed behind. One lady was slightly younger than the other. She had beautiful ivory skin and black hair, flowing to her waist. Her blue eyes stood out from her face. She looked nervously excited. The other lady stood quietly, green eyes watching me kindly. Her blonde hair was braided down her back and she wore a simple green gown which suited her slightly tanned skin.

They were both so beautiful I suddenly felt ugly in my travelling clothes. My fingers itched to pat down my hair but I resisted the urge, not wanting to look silly.

The three of them bowed and the princes nodded in acknowledgement.

The Captain looked to Kheelan. "Your Highness, as requested I have brought Lady Sorcha and Lady Evangeline to meet your fiancé."

I felt my eyebrows raise at Sorcha's name. I guessed she was the lady with blonde hair. I didn't think the other one was old enough to date yet.

Yet Evangeline rushed forward first, all propriety forgotten. She clasped my hands and her excitement flooded me, drowning my senses. I quickly threw the wall up in my mind, suddenly feeling ill from the rush of emotion.

"It's so wonderful to meet you Lady Laila," she gushed. "I can't wait to hear all about you! I have so many questions about the mortal world."

I smiled, squeezing her hands gently, afraid I was going to break her. "It's nice to meet you too. I hope we can get along."

"Oh I'm sure we will! I love making new friends."

Deciding I liked Evangeline, I smiled back honestly, watching her own smile grow larger in return. Lady Sorcha stepped forward and I took her offered hand, putting on my best smile.

"It's lovely to meet you, Lady Sorcha."

"And you, Lady Laila.' Her voice was warm and soft. "His Highness has asked me to accompany you while he is gone. I hope you don't mind."

"Of course not! He's told me so much about you already, I'm sure we'll get along fine."

I heard Kheelan start choking on air and Kalen looked down as he struggled not to laugh. The Captain and Evangeline watched on, confusion tinging their eyes, unsure of what has happening.

Oh yes, I thought evilly as I smiled sweetly. This could actually be fun.

pXzA