Chapter 9

"Why on earth do you want to learn how to fight?" Kalen asked as we walked through the gardens.

The remainder of my morning had been ruined by Captain Killjoy. Every time I tried to get closer to see what training they were doing, he would be right there, shooing me away like an annoying fly. Insufferable man.

At least Eva got to speak to Woodburn. He'd come up to introduce himself to me. I had tried to be polite but everything about him screamed wrong. Even his voice sounded as if it was slicked with oil and sleaze and it made me feel ill. Luckily Eva's complete adoration of him distracted him from myself and I quickly left them both, Woodburn preening over Eva's every gushing word.

The Captain had escorted me back to my room, silent the entire journey. Not that I wanted to talk to him. At least he had put his shirt back on so my mind could function normally once more. He may have been a killjoy but he was a damn attractive one. Once he departed, giving me an awkward farewell, I wasn't alone for long as I munched on some fruit to silence the hunger pangs and Kalen arrived, offering to show me around the garden.

Seeing as Eva was probably preoccupied I gladly took him up on his offer. I'd just finished telling him of my morning. "I want to learn to fight so I can defend myself. It's not exactly a comforting thought knowing I'm surrounded by strong, trained fae, many of whom would be happy to break my neck and toss me back to my mortal side."

Kalen glanced me as we walked slowly. "No one would dare touch you Laila. You're my brother's fiancé. Not even the Queen would ignore such actions. Also you have myself and Drake protecting you."

"I'm sorry to say Kalen but that doesn't give me much comfort."

He nodded in understanding. "I see. Well I hope in time it does, my Lady."

"Laila."

He stopped confused. "I'm sorry?"

"Please call me Laila. None of this 'My Lady' nonsense. I know you have to say my Lady when we're around everyone else but when it's just us, can you please call me Laila?"

He smiled gently. "Of course dear Laila. I can certainly manage that. Now that's sorted, I had best perform my duties and show you the gardens."

"This garden certainly is beautiful." I commented, glad of the change of subject. "Who cares for it?"

"The nypmh. One of their own created this garden out of love for my late father the King. Since both of their passing, the nymph's tend to the flowers in memory of Daphne, the nypmh I spoke of."

I looked at the garden in wonder. It made me think of that scene in The Secret Garden, when all the flowers start blooming and the garden literally comes to life. This garden felt alive. Small hedges of roses lined the pathways, all white in colour. Their petals lay below on the ground appearing like snow.

There were many different sitting areas we passed, each unique in their own way. Roses, daffodils, snap dragons, daisies, my mind couldn't keep up with the varieties. Many were associated with colour. We passed one which was filled with wild purple flowers, the garden in this part didn't look as if it was tended to but I could faintly see the areas which had been pruned back. I loved the wild natural feel of the area though. Fae sat in many of the areas, bowing as we passed. This meant I had to curtsy which was killing my knees. I hope it didn't give me abnormally large leg muscles from curtsying all the time.

We soon found a small sitting area which was unattended. A beautiful blossom tree stood in the middle, pink and white blossoms floating away in the breeze. Sitting on the stone chair, I gazed at the tree, for some reason feeling sad. "You said the nypmh Daphne passed along with your father. Were they in some kind of accident?"