Chapter 23

Alpin nipped at butterflies floating amongst the grass. I gave him an affectionate rub on the head and his tail thumped in response.

Training had come to a standstill this week. Drake and Ambrus had been gone for just over a week now and life was boring without them. Well, without Drake mainly. I never said it out loud but I missed him. I lay awake each night worrying he wasn't going to come back. I had the others here with me but it wasn't the same.

I was lonely without him.

Kalen was back and was keeping Eva busy. They'd been gone for a few days on a little adventure. I'd wanted to go but Kheelan thought it would be weird if it was just him and Sorcha left alone.

Spoilsport.

Instead, I was stuck wandering the forest alone and trying to catch up on my reading. Alpin was kind enough to keep me company although I spent more time talking to him in the last few days than actual people. If I wasn't careful I was going to go as crazy as the people I was reading about.

Arthrain had sent more books back with Eva and these ones were slightly different. Eva told me he had requested them from the Unseelie court. I don't know if he was allowed to do that but I owed him big time for finding these books for me. I was sure it had something to do with what had happened to dad.

They certainly held more information than the same repetitiveness of the Seelie's selection. I thought it may have something to do with the lost princess. Reading through the latest one, I was intrigued to discover what happened to those who survived the dark forest. I found a book written by someone from the Seelie Court.

Since writing this document, there has been a dramatic increase in those who have been lost to the dark forest. Even more so in those who survive it. Not all of these creatures are the missing fae though. Some have been discovered who belong to no court and there are no records of them going missing. They appear to be dangerous, I have seen one myself and they appear as crazy as the other's, matted hair and insane mind - but their eyes. They hold a cunning gleam as if they know something we do not.

These creatures have been classified as unknowns and therefore, upon the agreement of both courts, they are to be executed on sight. All other fae who are found are to be sent to Donella's Haven.

Executing them seemed a bit harsh but even reading about them they sounded wrong. It was a bit mysterious that no one had ever heard of them. Flipping through the book, I found information about Donella's Haven.

Donella's Haven is run by its namesake, Mistress Donella a solitary Banshee. Donella was chosen to run this haven as she held no allegiance to either court and could therefore care for victims from both courts without favouritism. It was also ruled that both courts assign guards from their courts to help Donella and they would be answerable to her until they were returned to their court.

The Haven is situated in the Old Seelie Court. The building was abandoned by the Seelie Court after the Battle of Lost Souls. Now it is used as a safe haven for those corrupted by the darkness of the forest. It is hoped that a cure will be found for these souls however with little understanding of how the Dark Forest works, there is little chance of a cure being discovered anytime soon.

"Laila?"

The voice startled me from the book and I looked up.

Lady Sorcha stood above me and I groaned inwardly. "Oh, Hi Sorcha. What's up?"

She sat down beside me and I tried not to move away from her. "Kheelan and I have been walking but he received a message that Drake and Ambrus have returned with someone wishing to speak with Kheelan. He went to meet them and I thought it would give us a chance to talk."