Chapter 25

"Just keep calm, Laila you know it's not Drake's fault."

"I know,' I grumbled, kicking at the dirt, "but it still pisses me off."

After being avoided by Drake for the last two days my patience was wearing thin. I thought after the other night things would return to normal but they didn't. Drake still seemed upset by the kiss and it would seem that meant he was avoiding me.

I understood the avoidance when I was with others but when I sought him out, he always made some excuse and vanished. The guy was being immature and I could only handle so much of it. To try and calm me down, Ambrus had offered to go for a walk with me, which meant dragging me out into the forest before I snapped.

"I just wish I could tell him. How can one secret cause so much trouble?" I sighed.

"I do agree." We passed under a Willow tree and Ambrus brushed the thin branches aside to let me through. "It is frustrating for me and I am simply an observer. Have you tried getting Kheelan to reconsider?"

"Of course! But he refuses to budge, afraid Drake will feel obligated to tell the Queen. You haven't told the Queen so why would Drake?"

"Now don't get mad, but Kheelan does make sense." I glared at him and he hurried to explain. "I haven't told the Queen but that's because I don't hold the same loyalty as Drake. I am loyal to my Queen, have no doubt but I do not see this as a betrayal. I also hold more loyalty to Kalen and if he supports this vow then so do I.

Drake on the other hand, the Queen saved his life and Eva's when he was a child. He has been loyal to her for many years. It's this loyalty which played a big part in him being chosen as Captain of the Guard. The Queen expects her Captain to hold unquestionable loyalty to her."

"And Drake is that type of guy." I murmured.

"Exactly. If Drake found out about this vow, he would be conflicted. I have no doubt the man loves you from everything I've heard and seen but in the end, I am afraid he would choose his Queen."

I thought about Drake saying he would give everything up to be with me. Was it all just talk? I mentioned it to Ambrus.

"Drake isn't one to speak lightly." Ambrus considered. "A declaration like that, I believe Drake would hold his word but think about it, Laila. Will he still hold true to those words when he discovers this is all a lie and he has been deceived?"

My heart sank knowing he was right. Drake had reacted this bad to a simple kiss between me and Kheelan. What would he do when he realised we were fooling him?

Sighing in frustration, I rubbed my head. "This is so complicated! Stupid Kheelan!"

I shouted that last part and Ambrus laughed. "You shouldn't be telling the forest it's prince is an idiot."

"Why? It deserves to know the truth."

A rustling sounded in the bushes ahead of us and I froze. Ambrus moved in front of me. "What is it?"

A growl sounded, deep and low. Ambrus slowly unsheathed his sword, his stance changing. "Step back, Laila."

Moving away, I unsheathed my two swords, gripping them tightly. As Ambrus advanced cautiously, I looked around. The forest was dark here, the sun could just be seen through the roof of leaves and branches, giving just enough light to see. Looking at the trees around us, I realised I didn't recognise where I was. I'd walked around Kheelan's territory for two months and I always knew where I was.

Panic fluttered as I turned back to Ambrus. "I think we've crossed the border." I whispered.

"I believe you're right," he said grimly. "Today you may have to test out those swords for real."