Chapter 17

My first day of freedom I was greeted at my door by a very excited Eva.

"Laila!" she squealed, tackling me back in to the table. "I've missed you so much, I have so much to tell you!"

Her eyes took in the training outfit I was wearing. "Wow you look gorgeous, like a true warrior princess."

Thoughts of Xena came to mind and I laughed. "Thanks, I think. Although I'm sure I won't look so pretty once this training session is finished."

Eva grinned. "Castien has been in such a bad mood since the Queen told him of your boon. I hope you're prepared."

"I hope so too," I muttered.

Linking my arm through hers, I headed out the door. "Why don't you escort me and fill me in with all I've missed."

Eva practically skipped beside me. "Well, first of all the boys who didn't have names? Sorcha went back two days ago and named them. She said the names just came to her."

I smiled, happy the children finally had names. "What are their names?"

"Oh, lets see, there's five of them. There was Isaac, Robert, Zachariah, Nathaniel and Damien."

"They're wonderful names."

Eva continued chatting as we slowly made our way to the training yard. Apparently Woodburn was long gone. Drake's men had 'escorted' him from the court and the tracker they had placed on him lost him near the White Lake. Eva didn't seem too concerned about him and I sensed no conflict when he was mentioned. I was glad she was a girl who could let go so easily.

More news of Kheelan had come. He said he would be returning soon and retiring to his private estate with his fiancé.

I didn't like the sound of that. I'd have to figure out a way to get Sorcha to come with us. Hopefully Kheelan had already thought of this himself. In a way it would also be a relief to get away from the Court. Every time I saw the Queen I thought my nerves were finally done for.

We were nearing the final corridor before the training yard when Quain walked around the corner, nose buried in a book.

"Good morning Quain," Eva said brightly.

Quain's head snapped out of his book, the tips of his ears turning red. He bowed. "Good morning Lady Eva, Lady Laila."

We both curtsied and I felt a sneaky plan begin to form.

"Quain could you please do me a favour?" I asked innocently. "I'm just off to meet Drake but I think I can manage from here by myself. Would you mind walking with Lady Eva to her next destination? I don't like the thought of her wandering around on her own."

Eva opened her mouth to argue but Quain quickly said, "I wouldn't mind, it would be my pleasure."

Awkwardly he held out his arm and Eva took it after I nudged her in his direction. "Great! Thanks, well I'll talk to you later, wish me luck Eva!"

She turned back to look at me as they walked away and I gave her a wink. Hopefully spending some time with a nice guy would open her eyes a bit. Turning around I headed to the training yard thinking of all these couples that were forming around me. I really should be getting more out of this deal.

* * * * *

From the moment I saw Drake waiting for me in the empty training yard, I knew he wasn't going to make this easy.

"Good morning," I said brightly, hoping to get him to cheer up.

His face remained encased in stone, eyes boring into me. Casually I swung my arms looking around. "So where do we start?"