Chapter 26

"How exactly does a carriage work in the forest?" I asked, following behind Eva.

We were following Kheelan, heading towards the river that ran along his border as the sun began to set.

"The carriage is on water. It's why we can get there in an hour rather than a day." Sorcha explained. "Lady Maurelle's water horses are amongst the fastest creatures I've seen."

"Water horses? Don't you think that's a bit much?" I huffed.

"I think it's wonderful!" Eva exclaimed.

I bit my tongue before I said something I'd regret. Since my encounter with Drake, my mood had continued to darken. I'd already had three glasses of potent faery wine but Kalen put a stop to my drinking binge.

"Not a good idea to show up intoxicated, Laila," he had said.

I didn't care. The wine had helped my indifference and had me wishing we had a stereo or something. I was in dire need of some Dire Straits. I snorted at my own joke.

"Are you alright Laila?" Ambrus asked.

"I'm fine, nothing a little Romeo and Juliet wouldn't fix."

I watched the look of confusion pass between them all but again, I didn't care.

Faery wine was awesome.

We reached the river and stood waiting for our ride to arrive. I was humming the chorus to Sultan's of Swing when I heard the splashing.

Two horses, made completely of water arrived before us, their legs melding into the water. Their eyes shone a brilliant white and as they shook their manes, water sprayed. Eva and Sorcha were enthralled as we climbed into the carriage they drew. It was made of a light coloured wood, I don't know how it floated but Kalen answered my question, explaining it was enchanted.

As soon as we were seated, the carriage took off at a fast pace. The ride was a little bumpy and I was glad I didn't suffer from sea sickness. Not exactly the most comfortable ride I'd been on.

"Are you looking forward to seeing Lady Maurelle again, Castien?" Eva asked her brother.

Drake nodded, I felt his eyes flash to me but I stared pointedly out the window, watching the forest fly by. "I haven't seen her in many years. It will be good to see an old friend."

My eyes rolled of their own accord and I caught Kalen grinning at me. Kheelan leaned over, murmuring in my ear. "Behave, Laila. You're acting like a child."

I wanted nothing more than to turn around and poke my tongue out but I bit it instead. He was right. I couldn't act this way in front of the water slut, I had to remain calm and composed.

Take the higher ground.

We didn't speak much on the journey, all of us too busy watching the forest fly by in a mixture of colour. The sun was setting and green melted with orange, creating a beautiful effect.

The river dipped and I felt my stomach drop. Looking out, the forest was gone. Watching the cliffs get higher, I realised; we were falling down a waterfall.

Eva gasped, eyes bright. "This is so amazing!"

I hated to agree with her but I did. It was a pretty neat trick.

Reaching the bottom, we slowed down, a huge home stood before us. Lights lit up the windows, the home appeared made of stone, as if blending into the cliffs around it. Long green vines covered the cliffs, creating a wave of green as it blew in the wind. White and purple flowers bloomed along the vines, looking beautiful. The same plant was creeping along the home, the overall effect was simply gorgeous.