Prophecy Revealed (Chapter 19)

I paced around Li Jie's living room, waiting for him to tuck in Lixue goodnight. Maylin was already asleep. In the living room with me was a poker-faced Li Qiang and a concerned Li Cheng, who hadn't been with us for our little zoo outing, as well as the new pets Lixue and I had, being Spade, Zuzu, Fuzzybutt, and 57 goldfish in their new, even bigger aquarium. Let's say, Li Jie has been carrying around lots of heavy loads earlier today.

Jie came in. "All right. Savanna, let's see this note now."

I reopen the vial and unfold the unknown note. We aren't more than two seconds in looking at it when Li Qiang speaks up.

"This is a prophecy." announced Qiang.

Li Jie nodded. "Most definitely. Tell her it in English, Li Cheng."

"The moon grows darker,

as brave dragons fall,

fire succumbs to water.

Water turns murky,

even with clear-cut warnings,

and a dreaded mantis breaks free.

The hunter will slay her prey,

but it will be for the cost

of a bloodied moon." translated Li Cheng.

I jumped off the couch. I couldn't sit for this. "We need to chase after Xiao Cao Zhu, this note isn't giving us any hints on where to find him or where to go, unfortunately. What is northwest of here, Li Qiang?"

"Not much. More mountains besides Mang Shan. They're called the Yun Tai Shan, or Cloud Mountains. Your Dai-e-ma plans to take you there tomorrow herself." mentioned Li Qiang.

I grunted in approval at this. "Great and good. The more confrontations I can force out of him, the more..."

"Savanna!" Li Qiang scolded me. Li Jie and Li Cheng looked uneasy.

I looked at them innocently. "Yes...?"

"Do NOT be worrying your Dai-e-ma by chasing trouble. Especially when she is right there. Now, you've see plenty of action today..." started Li Qiang.

I looked away. I just realized something. "It's me, isn't it?"

Li Qiang stopped. Li Jie and Li Cheng exchanged puzzled looks.

"What is it, Savanna?" implored a concerned Li Jie.

I explained, "They quarantine lightwielders and shadowhiders in America because both draw trouble to the area even when they try to be good. The zippercut, the cogs...animals seem tend to attack when I'm around.

"Savanna, wild animals have been disrupting city life for some time now, long before you arrived. The reason both the zippercut and undoubtedly now the cogs will make news is because you're doing something to stop them. Did you notice any police officers trying to put down either attack?" offered Li Jie.

I shook my head.

Li Jie continued, "How about other citizens trying to battle the creatures themselves? Or a special unit to repel such attacks?"

"Nope. They're all busy running away." I answered.

Li Jie smiled. "Everyone has given up on stopping the feral animal infestations, the ones that disrupt city life and injure hundreds. You've shown us we have some hope in dealing effectively with these creatures. You've saved lives, Savanna. You're not the problem bringing them here; you've become the leader of the movement to find a solution."

"Then, I will totally be able to intervene in any crisis that pops up while we're at Yun Tai Shan?" I grinned.

Li Qiang frowned his usual look of disapproval at me. "No. Do not worry your Dai-e-ma."

Thank you for contradicting everything Li Jie just told me to do (in my mind, what he told me was to keep stopping any major conflict with the wildlife that happens, even though he never specifically said that...). But you know that I'm always going to be the hero and stop any crisis that rears its ugly head in front of me, right Li Qiang?