Chapter 6

Lingering in the ballroom, she paced back and forth between her three clients.  Her thoughts were running rapid of images of Mr. Mogul threatening her and she felt heat rise in her chest from frustration and annoyance. I don't deserve this shit. She decided to walk over to the bar, maybe one drink will calm her down. She knew it wasn't the right atmosphere to drink but right now, she couldn't give a damn about what her boss thought.

"One Martini please," she motioned toward the bartender.

"Sure thing," she heard a light voice reply.

Naomi watched the young woman grab a glass from under the counter. Her movements were in sync with the music and she hummed along shamelessly to every word. Her black curly hair fell loosely into a ponytail down her back, swaying vicariously with each step. 

"Rough night?" she asked, with a hint of laughter in her voice. She looked over her caramel shoulder to Naomi who was staring intently at a napkin on the table.

"Is it that noticeable?" Naomi responded. She lifted her head, wondering how easily her emotions could be read.

"I can see it all over your face girl. I mean, I didn't know someone with a darker shade could get that red but you've proven me wrong."

"I have a lot of things running through my mind, that's all..."

She closed her eyes and slightly tilted her head back.

I can't let this man get to me. I'm better than this.

"Well whatever it is..." the bartender added, dragging Naomi away from her thoughts.

"I'm sure a woman as brilliant as you can figure it out."

She handed Naomi her drink with a smile, and attended to a new customer.

***

After 20 minutes, the first round of dates were done. Naomi made her way back to the round tables.  The couples wrapped up their conversations and returned back to their match-makers. Erica and Aaron were the first back. Their steps were in-sync and their mutual smiles implied a positive interaction.

"How was it?" she asked, already knowing the answer.

"It was great," Aaron was the first to reply.

"Nice conversation with even better company."

Erica blushed while Aaron praised her.

"Yes, Aaron is certainly a catch," Erica teased while lightly nudging his shoulder.

"I'm glad you two had a lovely time but..." she hated that she had to bust their mood.  "there are more dates this evening. I don't want you two to close off entirely."

"Of course," they both answered quickly.

They both looked uneasy. She watched them become stiff, as they remembered why they were here tonight. Naomi felt horrible that she had to stop their interaction so short, but that was the point of the Single's ball. To meet as many potential matches as you possibly can. So, they have to keep their options open. Go on a couple more dates and if they each find themselves longing for each other once again, then Naomi will let it flow and allow everything to fall into place.

"Alright you two, pick up those frowns because these are your next dates..."

As Naomi dismissed Aaron and Erica in separate directions, Noah arrived at her side. His handsome face was squinted, and bewilderment swept over him.

Before Naomi could speak he let out a groan.

"That was one of the worst dates ever."

Confused and taken aback by his statement, Naomi questioned,