Chapter 13

Naomi panted as the two sprinted out the elevator to the sidewalk outside the office. Her breathing was ragged. Her heart practically drumming inside of her torso. She was still trying to register the actions that went down during their meeting. Noah choked Mr. Mogul. And she threatened him about the business. He would be after her for sure. There is no way, a man like Mr. Mogul would let them get away with what they just did.

I'm screwed.

"I'm screwed." She mustered but this time, out loud. Noah watched as she brought her palm over her forehead and squeezed a small amount of skin together. I need to just leave. Naomi allowed her thoughts to carry her down the pathway. She whispered to herself in disapproval. My family was right, I'm not cut out for this. She continued to rush down the street. She ignored Noah, who was practically jogging behind her, trying to keep up with her strides. She sped up her walk until she was running. She allowed the wind to gather in her hair, pushing back her motion to drive forward. The fabrics from her clothes clung onto her in an attempt to stay put. She pushed and disregarded the constant murmuring. She desperately wanted to escape from all the chaos rising around her.

Noah caught up to her.

"Naomi stop." Her eyes were lowered, when he caught her arm.

"Where are you going?"

"Away," she exasperated.

"Come with me," he said smoothly.

Naomi didn't respond but pivoted in his direction. She didn't question him. Instead, she led her steps in his direction and they quietly strolled down the concrete streets. As they made their way downtown, Naomi walked in silence. She noticed tourists lingering between shops. Business men and women eagerly scanning the area. Locals rushed to their 9-5 jobs in a frantic manner. She studied them. All of them eager for something, wanting to be someone, and do something better than their circumstances. She was just like them. She sighed. Frantic, desperate, and in a rush for success.

***

When they finally approached their destination, the building had a few people staggered outside of the doors. Naomi scanned the contents of the large construction. In the front, it had broad glass windows, which one could discreetly see in the space. The walls were painted a light grey which followed by a white roof and door. She took in all of the details, from the plants wrapped around the walls to the flower pot sitting on the window seal. She trailed her eyes consciously over the exterior until she noticed the sign:

The Law Office of, Noah Alexander

He was taking her to his office?

Noah stepped in front of her and politely greeted the guests outside and took a hold of the door handle and eagerly opened it as if he was showing her to another world. She met his eyes and nodded, bringing her purse closer to her hip. As she walked into the door frame, she felt Noah's hand lightly graze her back. She suddenly felt calmer.

"Lead the way."

Naomi flickered her attention over the broad space and was instantly impressed. The outside didn't do his office much justice; well, the outside was decent but the inside was exquisite. A fountain sat in the middle of the entrance and to the side of it a man settled behind a wooden desk. Noah walked past him with a contained smiled.

"Good Afternoon, sir."

"How are you, Howard?" Noah focused in on his assistant.

"I'm fine," he replied. But quickly zoomed in on Naomi.