Improvement

"Well, Steve, you've done pretty well today." I said as I shut the folder. Our session had just finished and we had actually gotten through a lot.

"So did you, as my teacher I mean." He smiled.

"I'm guessing that you'll be going back to HQ then. I'm sure you've got some exciting mission to go on." I started to gather my things.

"I wouldn't describe it as exciting. Do need a ride home?"

"No thank you. I've got my car and I'm sure I can make it back by myself."

        We both exited the flat, making our way towards the lift. Just as we were waiting for the lift to arrive, I fumbled around in my bag, checking that I had everything; only I didn't. I'd left some of the papers in the flat on the table, and I needed them.

"Oh, I've left something back in the flat." I said.

The lift arrived and Steve held it open."Do you want me to go back with you?"

"No, no, it's fine. You need to get back." I waved goodbye and made my way back down the hall."Oh, good luck with the mission!" I quickly called before the doors of the lift shut.

          As I once again entered the apartment, I headed towards the living room. The papers were on the coffee table, just as I had thought they were, making things easier for me. I got out the bulging file from my handbag, flicking through it to find the right section where the pages went. However, the file was also flimsy, causing me to drop it on the floor. It made a loud 'thud' as it landed, making me thankful that it hadn't landed on my feet. As I bent down to pick it up, I heard a door 'click' open.

          Instantly, I froze in place. Steve wouldn't be here, would he? I contemplated looking around but I was too afraid for that. Ignoring the file on the floor, I slowly went to grab the gun out of my handbag, hoping that it would give me the confidence I needed; it didn't. Sure, I could be overreacting, there could be a draft in here, but I had to be careful. Cautiously, I stood up, holding the gun the way Agent Stanford had advised me to, despite my shaky hands.

         Keeping my back to the walls, I searched the flat. There was nothing so far and I was starting to feel like an idiot. I didn't bother checking the last rooms, I just wanted to leave. But being the stupid woman I was, I let my guard down, making me an easy target. Before I could even comprehend what was happening to me, an arm grabbed me around my upper torso, the other holding a piece of cloth over my mouth and nose. The gun was forced out of my hand. Although I tried not to breathe (knowing that there were chemicals on this fabric) I failed and started to panic. My attacker had the advantage; they were stronger than me, had me trapped and I couldn't see who it was. Eventually, and after quite a struggle, the chemicals finally did their work, knocking me into unconsciousness.

                  *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

My head was throbbing and I didn't want to open my eyes, feeling a bright light on my face. Nevertheless, I forced my eyes to open, knowing that I could be in serious danger. But much to my surprise, I was still in the flat. As I sat up, an ache came from my ribs where the attacker had grabbed me. I was on the floor in the living room, the same spot I had been in last time. I was still here, my belongings weren't.

        My handbag was gone, as were the files. Despite my dizziness, I checked every single room, knocking things over to double check that it hadn't been left anywhere. But after a long and hard search, I found nothing. Everything was gone, they had S.H.I.E.L.D files, papers about Captain America; most importantly, they'd be able to identify me, find me. I had to alert Fury.

        As I scrambled to get to the home phone, I tripped over my own feet. The chemicals must still be getting to me. However, as I got up, I realised the phone line had been cut; whoever had attacked me knew what they were doing. Knowing that I had to get out of there, I pulled myself to my feet using the coffee table. Though I was still weak, I made my way to the door. My hopes were starting to grow until I tried to open the door.

"No, no, please, this can't be happening!" I shook the handle, praying that it was just my imagination."Hey! Is anyone there?! Please, I'm stuck in here!"

         I started to make as much noise as possible, hoping that someone would hear me. There had to be someone living this block of flats....S.H.I.E.L.D couldn't possibly find someplace modern with no residents. It was starting to look that way though. The door and shouting wasn't getting me anywhere, I had to find another way out.

         It was a block of flats, so there had to be some sort of fire escape. I remembered that there was a tiny blacony connected to the window in the bedroom. There had to be one of those fire escape ladders there. Luckily for me, there was an escape ladder but because I was in one of the highest flats, it meant that is have the longest climb ahead of me.