Not Worth It

The knocking at my door interrupted my binge watching of Game Of Thrones. Sighing, I paused the tv, taking one last look at the gorgeous face of Jon Snow before answering it. I was surprised to see Chris standing there, especially so late at night. Inviting him in, I saw that he was still dressed in his usual S.H.I.E.L.D uniform, guns and all.

"What are you doing here? It's nice to see you but it's a bit unexpected." I smiled.

"I'm just being a good friend," he explained looking around the place,"I haven't seen you in a few days, you know, since the captain went crazy."

"Yeah, well, that wasn't the captain we all know. Thanks for that by the way, I keep putting you in dangerous situations."

"You do know who I work for, right?"

We sat down."Not much has happened since then. No, actually that was a lie. Guess what I did last night!?"

"You went to Tony Stark's party."

"How did you know?"

"My team and I still have to protect you."

I giggled."Oh yeah, I forgot. Anyway, it was actually amazing! Everyone was so nice, I was really nervous but they all welcomed me there-"

Chris interrupted my rambling."Bethan I need to ask you a question."

Disheartened, I nodded.

"Why did Fury hire you?"

"I just owe him a favour." I went quiet.

"What favour?"

"It's not any of your business. Your job is to just protect me."

"Why can't I know?"

"Because you don't need to know. The only people who do have that information is me and Fury."

"I'm coming to you as a friend!"

"You're still an agent! I can't tell you. I wouldn't tell anyone."

He huffed."For God's sake, just tell me!"

I stood up, having enough."I think you should leave."

He stood too."Not until I know."

What was he doing?

"Well you're going to be here for a long time then." I started to walk away until he yanked my arm back.

This wasn't like Chris.

"Bethan, it's not fair. Some agents would kill to get that job, it means that Fury trusts them. What makes you so trustworthy?"

"Chris, get off!" I tugged at my arm but he just grabbed my other one, backing me against a wall.

"Are you an agent!? Who do you work for!?"

          On instinct, I kicked his crotch and as he let go of my arms, I punched his face as hard as I could, not only hearing the cracking of his nose but also my fingers. I began running, only tripping due to Chris grabbing my ankle. What the hell did he think he was doing!? Scurrying away, I didn't care if I hurt him anymore. Kicking him in the face, I was able to jump back up and get out of the apartment.

         As I dashed past the lift button, I pressed it, seeing that it was already on our floor. But instead of taking it, I ran to the fire escape stairs, not the normal ones, hoping he would be confused. Peeking through the glass window, I saw him catch the lift just as the doors closed. Angry, he took a gun out of the holster before taking the normal stairs. Was he going to shoot me? Sighing, I made my way outside, only just realising that I was in my pajamas.