Chapter Two (Part 2)

Hotaru slid into their father's chamber and wiped the smile off his face. Lord Kaedemori would not appreciate a cheeky grin. In the past, Hotaru had made the mistake of smiling in front of his father and earned a tongue-lashing for it—lords of good standing did not grin like a Tanuki. Lord Kaedemori glanced up as Hotaru crossed the room. His expression was unreadable but for the faint shade of disappointment that turned down the corners of his mouth just a bit more than usual. Once again, Hikaru had failed to meet their father's expectations and it was up to Hotaru to pick up the pieces. He knelt down in front of his father, hands arranged perfectly on the tatami as he bowed low. He pressed his head to the ground and then looked into his father's dark eyes. How many times had he looked there, searching for affection, a sign of favor or praise?

"Is something troubling you, Father?" he asked.

Lord Kaedemori stared down at his second son. He was made of ice and no amount of affection could melt him. Like a fool, Hotaru kept trying, no matter if his fingers turned black from frostbite and he froze his own heart in the process. Hotaru would keep on trying to win over his father until he saw what talent he was squandering in him.

"I heard about the deaths." Hotaru paused, thinking of the men he had trained and fought with, his brothers in arms. They had lost their lives due to his brother's ineptitude. "The men are telling some tall tales about Yokai. Perhaps I should speak with them, have them hold their tongues?"

"That will not be necessary." His father spoke at last, his voice as frigid as a winter storm.

Hotaru clamped his mouth shut and buried his feelings. But his father did not summon him on a whim. What could be more important than the death of their clansmen? "Why have you summoned me, Father?" His anger made his tone sharp, a mistake. Lord Kaedemori glared at him and Hotaru looked away. Speaking like a child would never earn Hotaru his father's respect.

Lord Kaedemori folded his hands on the table in front of him. "The signing of the treaty is unprecedented. Never before have two clans come together as we have with the Fujikawas. Now that all eyes are upon us, we must prepare for what comes next."

"What comes next?" Excitement bubbled up; had his time come at last to prove his worth? His father had been dangling a marriage in front of his nose for months. Had he chosen someone at last? Would he be married to some lord's daughter and thereby strengthen the clan?

"People fear what they do not understand. The other clans will seek to undermine us; they will plot and plan to topple our clan. The men's training should be increased and the guard doubled."

Hotaru deflated. "I thought perhaps now would be the time to send letters to other clans and inquire about my marriage."

"That will come in time."

The answer was unsatisfactory. Hotaru had been patient. He had waited for ages and obeyed all of his father's orders. He'd delayed marrying, focusing on increasing his talent with a blade and strategy. He let Hikaru pretend at being a lord, and watched him flounder time and time again. Now men had died, good men, young men who should have served the clan until they were old and gray. They were in a time of peace, for now. Signing the treaty had secured an ally in the Fujikawas, but it created half a dozen enemies among the other clans. Hikaru did not have the authority or the knowledge to defend their clan; surely his father could see that. "I do not mean to speak out of turn, Father," Hotaru said.

"Then halt your tongue."

He closed his mouth, but the words boiled inside him, writhing like a snake. Hikaru was not fit to rule; with no ambition and no skill with a sword, he was not the leader they needed. Hotaru had both and more. He alone of Lord Kaedemori's sons was the most fit to rule, and it was time his father saw it.

"Father, Hikaru is no leader. The men do not trust him. He is weak and—"

"You speak treason, son."

Hotaru clenched his jaw shut hard enough to crack his teeth. Father is blinded by tradition. Why can't he see I am meant to rule?

"There is an order to things. Hikaru is my firstborn by my first wife and so he shall inherit."

Unless he dies. The thought scared him and stole the breath from his lungs. What dark corner of his heart had such a vile thing been born from? He never wished harm on his brother, no matter how much he frustrated him. They verbally sparred often but only because he thought Hikaru unfit to rule, but wishing his brother's death, unthinkable, heinous, treasonous. Desperation was chasing his thoughts down dark corridors. He clenched his hands into fists to hide their shaking. I will find another way to rule that does not create bloodshed.

Out loud he said, "Yes, Father."

A/N: What do you think so far? I'm dying to know! Let me know in the comments. And I don't think I have to remind you that you can buy this book online for .99 cents. :D