Chapter Nineteen

After his father's death, Rin did not leave Hikaru's side. She had seen the despair in his eyes and knew he blamed himself. She coaxed him to her chamber, where she tried to take away his sadness with her body. Their coupling was tender. When he looked into her eyes as he entered her, the deep sadness she saw there stirred something in her chest. She had never intended it, but she had grown to care for him deeply. They fell asleep in a tumble on her futon, limbs wound together. She rested her head on his chest and let oblivion take her.

It was late that night that she woke with a start. The hairs on the back of her neck prickled and the air practically sparked with spiritual energy. She knew there was only one explanation. Rin gently unwound herself from Hikaru's embrace and, after sliding into her night robe, went out into the garden. The witch stood beneath the maple tree. The leaves had all but fallen, and only a determined few remained to cling stubbornly to the branches.

"You have been busy, I see," the witch said.

Rin crossed one arm over her stomach and waved her free hand, indicating the witch should get on with whatever she came to say. Kill me or free me, it is the suspense that is the worst. The not knowing is driving me insane.

"Things are progressing nicely, but it appears the Fujikawas have remained devoted despite news of Lord Kaedemori's death." Her mouth twisted into a grim smile. She was enjoying the Kaedemoris' misfortune. And it is my fault. She brought me here to place a wedge in the family and awaken old prejudices.

Rin took a step towards the witch. Enough of your gloating, old woman, what do you want from me?

She turned to face Rin. She wore the priestess garb again though Rin was certain she was not a real priestess. "I have come to tell you that time runs short, you have only a few days left. And as such, I have come to give you instructions."

Rin held her breath. She had watched the moon change and known her time was coming, but she could not bear to betray Hikaru, not after everything she had been through. It had been convenient to forget, but the witch was right, she was running out of time. How can I break the spell and spare his feelings?

"You are to kill Lady Fujikawa. She arrives in two days' time. Once she is dead, the spell will be broken."

She balled her hands into fists. And if I don't, I will become a fox, is that it? From the corner of her eye she glanced about for something to throw at the old witch. She could not fathom the old woman's motives, but she was tired of being used as a pawn in her game. And she was also tired of fearing for her life. She had never been this vulnerable as a Kitsune. She could not imagine how humans lived their lives feeling this weak.

"You do not approve of my plan?" the witch taunted.

Who would willingly take a life, you madwoman?

The witch laughed as she stalked closer to Rin while she stood frozen in place. Every inch of her body was alert, preparing for the witch to administer some punishment. A burning fire that set her skin ablaze or a spell that would turn her into a bug to be squashed underfoot. The witch tried to walk over to the chamber where Hikaru slept blissfully unaware. Rin stepped in her way. It was the only thing she would do to interfere with the witch. Hikaru is in innocent in this.

The witch smiled and revealed her graying gums. "If you do not kill Lady Fujikawa, then you must kill the new lord Kaedemori."

Rin gritted her teeth to hold back a curse that could not pass her lips even if she wanted to. She clenched her hands hard enough to break the skin. Had she a tail in that moment, it would have been whipping back and forth.