Chapter Twenty-Two (Part 4)

Hikaru waited for what seemed an eternity. He wrung his hands to avoid pulling at the tattered threads at the edge of his sleeve. Then he saw the shadow approaching—two figures. He stepped out from within the room until he realized the two approaching were not Rin and the captain but an unknown man and Lady Fujikawa.

At first he thought he should be alarmed until his wife reached for the unknown man's hand and squeezed. The look she bestowed upon the stranger held all the emotion and warmth Hikaru had never received from her. He held his breath and watched as they disappeared over the edge of the roof. In his heart he had known they were not meant for one another, but he was glad she had found her happiness. His only reservation was the ruined treaty. Before he could consider it further, the captain appeared with Rin in his arms. Her head lolled to one side.

"What happened to her?"

"It is safer to transport her this way," the captain said.

Hikaru eyed the captain but held his tongue. Hikaru took Rin from the captain, despite his protests. She was his responsibility. The weight of Rin's head on his shoulder was reassuring; he could feel her heart beating against his, steady and alive. With the captain leading the way, they slipped into the night through the palace.

"I saw a man with my wife. A friend of yours?" Hikaru asked.

The captain hesitated and then with a nod said, "I know of him."

"Care to explain? That's my wife he has with him."

"Who do you care about more, your wife or her? I can only rescue one woman tonight."

He felt guilty for not fighting for Lady Fujikawa, but there was only one choice for him. "Let's get out of here."

They managed to steal their way into the courtyard, where horses were waiting for them. They were not like any horses he had seen before. They had hair that rippled in the wind as if their very manes were made of living fire. Their coats were pure white. Hikaru reached out a hand to touch their fiery manes. It was warm but did not burn. He gently laid Rin over the back of the first as the captain swung into the saddle of the other. The warm flames tickled his skin as he rested Rin's head against his chest.

The gate to the palace was closed as they cantered through the courtyard. Guards stood guard, weapons drawn. Hikaru looked to the captain for guidance, but he did not break stride as they galloped full speed straight for the men. The guards held their ground, unblinking. Hikaru closed his eyes, prepared for a collision. But before they collided, the horses leapt into the air, sailing over the palace walls. He looked down as the ground came rushing back to them. The guards had not even turned their heads. It was as if they had not seen them at all. The animals landed silently and then they flew through the night, racing over the countryside. The horses' feet did not even seem to touch the ground. They were some distance from the palace when a wolf appeared. It was a massive beast, larger than any of the smaller forest creatures he was accustomed to. It ran alongside them and then abruptly cut in front of them. The captain brought them to a sudden stop and Hikaru nearly fell from his saddle.

The wolf growled at them, its teeth bared.

"Move, Okami," the captain said.

Then from a rumbling throat the wolf replied, "I will not let you take Rin."

d,l ?b