Chapter 7

Shin sniffed the air. This was where Rin's trail ran cold. He had chased her from the Dragon's palace to this far corner of his kingdom only to find she had disappeared. The forest buzzed, the residents all talking about the guardian, who was in an uproar. And he suspected a certain Kitsune he knew had something to do with it. Disguised as a wolf, he could walk along the human roads. He did that now, his Yokai senses spread out to find her. He knew her signature like his own beating heart, but apart from the broken branches with tufts of coppery hair and fox prints on the ground, he did not notice anything that belonged to her.

He stopped when he felt a strange energy coming from nearby; it raised the hairs on his back. That is human energy but tainted somehow. He ran forward and came to a skidding halt when he found the markings on the ground. He brushed his nose against it. And recoiled. A human had trapped a Yokai here. He could taste the spell on the air, acrid and foul. Beneath it, he noticed it faintly but still her scent. Rin.

What have you done now? She would be the death of him, he was sure of it. He never should have chased after her. What would the Dragon do when he found out he had abandoned his post? The Dragon had left him in charge while he went on one of his infamous trips. But he had seen Rin's face the day she disappeared. He thought she needed time to cool off, as usual, but when she had not returned, he realized he had underestimated her. And so here he was on a madcap search for her. He growled in his throat.

He ran along the path, smelling her faintly corrupted scent. He followed the trail along the human road, growing more confused all the while. Then her scent mixed with that of a human, at least he thought it was human. This scent also had a strange note to it. He looked through the dark, his advanced vision showing the road ahead of him, and in the distance he saw a human palace. He sighed. Something told him that was where he would find her.

rrr r@r8rPrid-retelling-untitled-part "