Chapter Twenty-Six (Part 2)

Hikaru stared at the wall just behind the guardian, lest he lose his nerve. The gigantic boar creature terrified him. It moved and spoke like a human, but its sharp tusks and crooked evil smiles sent a cold chill down his spine. It reminded him of the one that had attacked him and his men. He'd had no chance against that creature, and if Rin had not interfered, he would not be here. Now it was his turn to save her. Hikaru knew he could not fight it and win. His brother had taken his place as leader of the clan; there was nothing left for him. Saving Rin was all that mattered now. He would have climbed the highest mountain to reach the palace of the Eight to save her.

The guardian leaned forward. He pressed his hooves together and regarded Hikaru over them. His eyes were framed by wiry gray and brown hair that somewhat resembled eyebrows. They were tugged together in the middle, creating a V over his snout. The guardian's beady yellow eyes danced with delight.

"It is good to see someone with some sense for once." The guardian chuckled.

Sweat pooled in the palms of his hands, but he resisted the urge to wipe them against his thighs. He was trying to look formidable. "My good sense cannot be the only reason you wanted me," Hikaru said.

The guardian laughed and his gut jiggled. And the half-human, half-animal creatures that surrounded him tittered along with him. Then with a sharp gesture from the boar they fell silent.

"You are arrogant; that will help you find a place in my palace. Even if you are a half-breed." The guardian snorted in a piglike fashion.

A smile threatened to curl Hikaru's lips, but he thought it would not be welcomed, so he held back. Judging on how the boar dressed, he wanted to be human and probably did not like to be reminded of his boar-like physique. What does he think I can do for him? That's the real question.

"You cannot be serious about this, Akio," Shin drawled. "What can this Hanyou possibly do for you?"

Hikaru glared at Shin, willing him silently to hold his tongue. It should have been the ideal solution for Shin. Akio would return Rin to her original form and Shin would protect her. He would protect her better than I ever could.

"We made a deal, Shin," the guardian said. He waved a hoof as if to bat Shin away like an annoying pest. "And now I am making a deal with my new friend here."

"And I've changed my mind. You've been trying to get your revenge against the Dragon for centuries, and now I am here, his general, begging you for a favor. What do you want? Information? I'll give you whatever you ask if you'll save Rin." Shin clenched his hands into fists and his jaw snapped shut on the last word. His jaw twitched and the veins in his neck stood out.

The boar laughed. "You think you are wise, wolf, but there are things even you do not know, O master of spies."

They glared at one another for a few moments. Rin weaved in and out of both Shin's and Hikaru's legs. She must have sensed the tension in the room.

"This Hanyou cannot be worth that much to you," Shin replied.

"Oh, but he is." The boar motioned and the doors behind them swung open. Hikaru turned around as a man strode into the chamber.

The man who had saved him from the palace strode into the room. He wore all black, and the painted characters on his forehead stood out against his pale skin and dark hair. Hikaru watched as he marched to the front of the room, where he knelt before Akio.

"Tell me, Naoki, what have you learned about the Hanyou?"

Hikaru's stomach clenched. Naoki would reveal his ruse and with it his chance to save Rin. He had no special powers, other than being able to see Yokai.