Epilogue

Winter had a firm grip upon the shrine. Banks of white snow clung to the sides of the buildings and weighed upon the rooftops. Bright patches of crimson peeked out beneath the white as Rin ran along the rooftop, melting snow with her fox fire. Hikaru, down on the ground, hurried to hang the last of the streamers. It was possible none of the local farmers would show up; it had only been a few months since they established the shrine. The cleanup had been tedious, and had it not been for Hikaru, Rin would have given up and run off into the woods for a romp on more than one occasion.

She melted the last of the snow on the roof, and rivers of clear water ran down the top, forming into long dangling icicles along the eaves. They sparkled in the sun, casting multicolored lights on the banks of snow below.

"Finished up there?" Hikaru called from on the ground.

Rin launched off the roof and sailed through the air towards Hikaru. He opened his arms to receive her as she fell into his arms once more in a human form. He spun her around.

"I rather like you in your fox form," he said as he nibbled her neck.

She purred. "Do you now?"

"You look very powerful."

She laughed, tossing back her head. Life had been good. The shrine restoration was coming along, and Akio's blessing had allowed them a measure of protection. Hikaru was not the only reason she decided to stay behind. Akio was up to something, and being close would help her find out what. In the wake of her affair with the Dragon and her being turned into a human, she could not return to the palace. Not that she wanted to. She was happy with Hikaru.

She had seen nothing of the witch. Though she still woke with panic at night, thinking she heard her whispering in her ear. As Rin's laughter died away, she heard the tinkling of bells—someone had walked beneath the tori arch in the courtyard. Rin turned, ears tilted towards the sound. She lifted her nose in the air. It was a human—not the witch. She exhaled. Would the fear ever go away? she wondered.

Hikaru brushed his fingertips across her cheek. "We're safe here. There's no need to worry."

She leaned her forehead against his, inhaling his scent and indulging in their private moment just a bit longer.

The footsteps drew closer, and from the sound of them, they had a crowd. Hikaru pulled away, although hesitantly, and went to greet the worshipers. She followed him around the corner of the building into the courtyard, which she had cleaned of snow earlier that morning. A small group hovered near the bright red tori arch. Their coats were well made and lined with fur, and she could see from a distance the jewelry and trappings that set them apart from mere farmers.

"Welcome," Hikaru started to say, but he stopped in his tracks.

Rin peered around his shoulder. Her lips pulled back into a growl and she felt the fire in her gut churning. She considered transforming, not that these humans could see her if she did. "What are you doing here?" She tried to move around Hikaru, but he put up his hand to stop her. The humans could not see her if she did not reveal herself.

"Brother," Hikaru said.

Hotaru bowed low, much lower than was required. For the sake of appearances he was treating Hikaru like a proper priest.

What does he want? She stood at Hikaru's side, glaring at the unaware Hotaru.

"We've come to leave our offerings and ask the Kami for their blessing for the new year," Hotaru said. There was none of his usual haughty arrogance. His voice seem tempered. There were bags beneath his eyes and a certain weight to his expression that was not there before.