Chapter Four (Part One)

Hikaru went back to his private rooms, dismissed his servants and started to undress on his own. As he stripped off his outer robe, his brother's taunts gave him pause. That led to thoughts of his shameful actions in the forest. I couldn't even protect myself. If that strange woman hadn't intervened, I would be dead.

Hikaru turned to face his veranda. The sliding doors opened onto his garden. The manicured bushes were shaped and perfect, not a stray branch in sight and not a single leaf lingered on the ground. I must have imagined the ears and tail, and surely that boar was not as big as I remember it. He stood for a moment, gazing up at the sliver of moon in the sky, his memories playing in his mind's eye. He was never one for fanciful exaggerations; he was a man of learning and reason. I cannot be sure until I go and look again. He moved before he could change his mind. Urgency hurried his feet as he stormed down the hallway, through the inner rings of the palace and into the outer circle, where the stables were housed.

A group of warriors dallied about between rounds of guard duty as he approached. A few leaned against the side of the building.

One warrior, who had his back to Hikaru, was in the middle of a story. He spread his arms out wide as he said, "I'm telling you, it had tusks as big as me. And the noise it made turned your bowels to liquid."

A second warrior laughed. "This sounds like an old wives' tale."

"I'm telling the truth, it was massive," the first man protested.

The others spotted Hikaru watching them. They stood up straight but more out of obligation than any sense of respect for Hikaru.

"I wish to ride; bring my horse," Hikaru said.

They hesitated a moment, as if considering whether or not to obey his command. He could see the resentment bubbling beneath the surface. The accusation in their eyes that pinned their friends' deaths upon him. He wanted to apologize, but the words failed him. He was no good at speaking with others unless it was about books.

"Yes, my lord," said the man nearest to the stable doors.

Hikaru walked away to stand in the courtyard. When he turned his back, the men spoke in low tones to one another. The night air felt cool against his flushed cheeks. He fought the urge to shift from foot to foot. From the furtive glances in his direction, he knew they were talking about him. Just then the stable master emerged with his horse in tow. Hikaru swung into the saddle in a rush to make his departure to avoid any more uncomfortable stares. As he hurried through the palace gates, he did not notice the angry glares that followed him.