Chapter Twenty-one (Part one)

So this is it, Kazue thought as her gaze skimmed over her new chambers. The Kaedemori clan was not so different than the Fujikawas'. The room even reminded her of the one from home, a painted screen in the corner with a forest motif, a futon with a reed curtain, a sitting room just beyond, and a private garden all to herself. Along with her own lady's maids she had brought with her, she may as well be back at her father's palace. But it wasn't the same. The air felt different; her skin prickled with dark energy. This palace held secrets, and even when she should have been resting, she could not. She paced her chamber, fussing with this and that and sending her maids on useless errands.

She felt something like a spark of lightning. She turned in place but saw nothing out of the ordinary. Her maids bustled about the room, hurrying to unpack her things and prepare for the night's festivities. I am imagining things. It's probably because I'm nervous about starting over here.

After a month apart, she would be reunited with her husband. Would he expect to share her bed? Her father had been disappointed when the young lord left shortly after her wedding night, and more upset with Kazue that she was not pregnant. She rested her hand against her empty womb. Their child would rule over the combined clans of Fujikawa and Kaedemori, making them the largest and most powerful clan in the islands of Akatsuki. Without an heir, her father depended on Kazue to preserve his line. If only I had more time to get to know him before he ran away. He seemed kind, but seeing him again, she felt no attraction, no love. Perhaps it can grow. She had told herself the same lie over and over since the marriage was announced and she had given up on Kaito returning.

Kazue wandered over to the painted screen and ran her fingers along the hills in the picture. When she learned what Kaito was, she knew it would never last long. They were from different worlds and she had a responsibility to her clan, to protect her family. And yet, in her selfish heart she had hoped she could keep the Dragon. Perhaps she had been a fool to think he would want her the way she wanted him. She gave him her everything, her heart, her soul, her virginity. The day she married Lord Kaedemori she had prayed that Kaito would come and take her away to his palace beneath the sea, but that was a foolish dream. He was gone and he was not coming back.

"My lady, the banquet will be starting soon. Shall we change?" Aoi looked at her with large doe eyes. As servants went, she was faithful, but a bit naive. That was why she brought her, she did not want any of the scheming girls who tried to manipulate her to gain favor with her father.

"Give me a few more minutes." She smiled at Aoi, knowing she would not deny her request. "The journey has left me tired. Why don't you and the girls go into the garden?"

Aoi bowed. "Yes, my lady."

They all departed, and when they were gone, Kazue went over to her trunk and pulled back the lid. She glanced both ways before digging to the bottom. Buried beneath layers of silk was her most prized possession. She removed a bundle and unwrapped the fabric around it. Inside, a mirror inset with pearls reflected the light coming from her brazier. It was the only gift the Dragon had given her. Her last link to him, she wished it was enchanted or gazing into would reveal his face; instead there was nothing but her own disappointed gaze staring back at her. Brushing her fingertip along the pearls, she counted them, wondering what he was doing now. She sighed.

Then she felt it again, the spark. Light footsteps fell on the tatami mats. She shoved the mirror beneath the folds of her kimono and turned to look over her shoulder at the intruder.

"Aoi, I told you to wait in the garden." She knew it was not Aoi, but after keeping her powers a secret from childhood, she dared not reveal them now.

An old woman stepped into the light coming from the braziers. "My lady, it is I."

She could have wept from relief. If anyone could explain this ominous aura, it would be the priestess. She did not even waste time wondering how the old woman had found her way into the palace. She seemed unconfined by walls or society; how she envied her.

"Teacher, I am so glad you're here." Kazue jumped up to greet her.

She embraced the old woman, clinging to the one thing that was hers in this strange place. "Why did you not tell me you were coming here?"

"I did not know I would be in this region for certain, child. But I am glad I came here. There is danger around."

"I feel it too. What do you think it is?"

"I do not know for certain, but I came to warn you, be careful."

She nodded her head. She had prepared herself for this; she was ready to face whatever monsters lurked in the night. "I will, teacher."

"And there's more, the Dragon is missing; none can find him. If he comes here for you, you must refuse him. Do you understand?"

Kazue recoiled. She pressed her hand to her chest. The Dragon come for her? That was laughable. He cared nothing for her. What they'd had was nothing but a short liaison, a tryst. He held no love for her. But the question escaped her lips before she could stop it.

"Why?"

Her teacher grabbed her by the shoulders. Kazue looked into her wrinkled face, the lines that framed her mouth from years of laughter, eyes full of ancient wisdom. She had risked much to teach Kazue about her spiritual powers. If her father had found out—she did not want to think about the repercussions.

"I have seen a vision of the future, and if you were to go with him, it could mean destruction."

She looked away from her mentor, afraid she would see the longing in her eyes. Despite her warning, she still wanted him to come for her. "It does not matter either way, he would not come here. I am married now."

"That does not matter to a Dragon."

"I understand, teacher."

Her teacher pressed a kiss to Kazue's brow. "Be safe, child. I will return soon."

The mysterious woman left in her usual way, like a puff of smoke, though Kazue still harbored doubt in her heart. She had not told her teacher, but she too had a vision, and it showed a child. And though her vision was not certain, she knew it belonged to the Dragon.