Chapter Nine - What is that?

~Elliot~

I watched as Eddie picked up a longish black rectangle object that had a bunch of colorful square and rectangular things on it. He pressed the only circle thing on the object and I jumped when a light came from the black box thingy and I could see some moving images coming from it. I tilited my head to the side as I stared amazed at it. "How does it do that?" I asked turning my head slightly and looked at Eddie for a few seconds before turning back to the...TV, I think Eddie called it...and realized sound was also coming from it. 

"The reflective bit of it, is a screen which plays back a recording with sound and color." 

"I don't really understand." I said frowning as I leaned back against the couch saddened that I couldn't understand what Eddie was telling me. 

"Well...hmm...let me think." He said tapping his finger against his chin. "It...broadcasts signals it gets from radio waves from the receivers in the TV and projects an image on the screen...does that make sense?"

"Sort of..." I said still pretty confused about it all. At least I knew what radios were. In fact I had one in my lamp right now. 

"What did you understand?" He asked turning toward me and we both ignored the TV, or whatever it was called. 

"Well I understood what radio waves were as I knew what a radio is. I was out of my lamp when they were invented so I know what those were."

"That's good."

"So is a TV kind of like a radio?"

"Yeah it's a just a radio with moving pictures."

"Oh, I understand that completely!" I said smiling brightly as I bounced in the seat happily. 

"That's good so now I can show you all of what TVs can do." He said happily as he handed me the rectangular object he turned the TV on with. "This is called a remote, it is used to control the TV. These are buttons that you press to control it." He explained as I examined the remote and its buttons. "Here try something." I looked at the TV and held the remote up so it was pointed at it as I pressed the '3' button and the '9' button. I watched, slightly, amazed as the image changed and instead of some sport-like game being shown, it was now showing some weird, and drawn, show. It seemed to be centered around his yellow square thing with holes and a pink starfish. 

"What is this?" I asked tilting my head to the side as I stared at this strange show. 

"It's a cartoon called Spongebob." Eddie said laughing. Probably at the face I was making. 

"Cartoon?"

"It's a type of show. There are many different types, Science fiction, health, music, cartoon, which is something some has drawn and animated on a computer..."

"Computer?" 

"Oh right. It's like a television in ways, but you can do much more on a computer than on a TV."

"Then why have a TV?"

"Well a TV can do things that a computer can't, like play shows and stuff like that, while a computer can do things a TV can't. Well without a console."

"Console?" 

"It is an invention that allows you to play video games on the TV." He said and began explaining before I could ask what those were. "They are kind of like board games, just on a TV and with a lot more to do...Why don't I just show you?" He asked getting up from the couch and walked over to the TV. While he did...whatever...I looked around and noticed Alice was sitting in the chair reading a book. 

"Alice, what's that?" I asked pointing at the book. 

"A book." She said and I stared at her with a blank expression. 

"I know that...I haven't been in my lamp THAT long. I meant what is is about and what is it called?" 

"Oh." She said and I heard Eddie laughed under his breath. "It's called The Alechmyst. The Secrets of the immortal Nicholas Flamel." She said and my eyes widened hearing that name. 

"Nicholas Flamel?" 

"Yeah he's a..." She began explaining, but I interrupted her. 

"I know who he is. He was a friend of one of my masters years ago and I met him before." 

"You met Nicholas Flamel?" She asked with wide eyes and I nodded. Fortunately before she could begin shooting off questions again Eddie stopped her. 

"Alice, why don't you let Elliot relax. I think you asked him enough questions for one day." He said as he walked back over to the couch and sat down next to me. He handed me a strange shaped object that had a few buttons on it along with two strange things on it. 

"What's this?"

"It's a controller for the game console." He said leaning back against the couch and put his arm across the back of the couch behind me. "I'll show you how to use it so don't worry." He said as the TV turned to this odd screen that had four words on it. The words were Start, Quit, New and Load. "Use the joystick, right here, to go down to New and then click the 'X' button." He said and I followed his instructions as the game started.