Taking What's His - Chapter 39

I shouldn't be getting used to this. I really, really should not be getting used to this. Having vampires stalk me was not something anyone should get used to, or have to.

I didn't stop driving the entire night, thanks to the multiple cans of red bull stashed in my passenger seat, along with now crumbled, empty bags of potato chips and candy wrappers. I had past the border and was back in Oregon by 1:00 am, mentally willing myself to keep on driving for another four hours to get home. If I stopped...I had a good chance of meeting up with Demetri again. I had seen him the few times I came along a gas station and stopped for gas, but he was always at a distance. He was hunting me, I could feel it. Or perhaps he was just curious about the other fanged friends I had and wanted to meet them. I doubted that was the case, and if it actually was then he was pretty stupid. I was certain him meeting Ashton would not produce a pleasant outcome--for anyone involved.

I reached Woodbine by 5:00, and by that time I was nearly dead at the wheel. I had fallen asleep a few times while driving; luckily I was always jolted awake in a few moments and was saved from crashing into anything with my car speeding down the highway. All I wanted to do was to get home and fall into bed...but that wasn't going to happen.

I could feel it right when I entered town; it was if a giant shock wave had hit me. Suddenly, I could feel all my hairs stand on end, and goose-flesh covered my skin. A strange sensation was coursing through my veins, and strangely, I knew exactly what it was. They knew I was home. I was unsure how I could feel it, but I knew. It was undeniable, and I knew without a moment's hesitation that they were already heading my way.

But I wasn't able to be stalled now, not when I so tired and all I wanted was a hot shower and a nice soft bed. My foot pounded the gas, my little car zooming through the streets of the town. At this hour, no other cars were on the road, and I was allowed to speed through without causing any disruption to anyone else. Now sensing that both Ashton and Ruby, as well as Demetri, were on my ass, I cut corners to get home before any of them got to me. My only focus was bed...questions and accusations could come later, once I woke up. I could see my house now, and turned hard left, leaving the smell of burning rubber in my blue baby's wake as I pulled into the driveway. My seat belt was off and I was out of the car, running up the stone steps. Now far enough away to not wake any of the living, I yelled out, "I'M GOING TO SLEEP!"

I was no athlete, but the time it took for me to get in the house, kick my shoes off and shrug off my jeans, and run to my room and to fall into bed would surely have been enough to impress any track runner.

I was asleep before my head hit the pillow.