Chapter Twelve

{ Ruby's POV }

"...This is so stupid."

I wasn't usually this pettish, but this whole issue with Delilah had got me in an ill-tempered mood, and I was more on edge then usual. I glared menacingly at the clock positioned in the front of the classroom, which seemed to be ticking louder than normal, and I'm sure it was doing that just to piss me off. In a burst of anger, I flicked the eraser that sat on my desk with extreme force, sending it flying towards the clock. It shattered, to the surprise of everyone in the classroom, efficiently shutting up that obnoxious ticking. My eyes swept the class, and luckily no one had caught my little act. The teacher, who was quite befuddled at the moment, muttered for the kids to get back to work while he ran out to get a janitor to clean up the mess. I tuned out the irritable voices of the surrounding students, not caring at all about how they reacted.

I put my head down on my desk and closed my eyes, inwardly pouting. I was irritable, downright furious--and at the same time, quite hurt. I knew from the first time I bit Delilah and she saw what I truly was before I erased it from her mind that she thought I was a monster. It's what I was, and I didn't deny it. But in the past few weeks I had become closer friends with her, I had hoped that maybe, if she ever did find out, she wouldn't think of me as such. I wanted her acceptance. I, Ruby Hartfield, a 262 year old vampire, wanted the acceptance for what I was from a 17 year old who's name was Delilah of all things. An audible groan left my lips before a laugh trickled out after it, and I could feel some of the students turn their gazes to me.

The bell ran for the end of class and I groaned again, dreading going to my next class. One class down--three more to go. The only reason I was even here was because I needed to feed before I went back to Delilah's for the night, and because she didn't feel comfortable enough to sleep when I was around since she knew I could enter her house. 'Maybe I should just go bite someone and then go hang out elsewhere for the rest of the day...if I have to listen to Ms. Jones go on about atoms and molecules for the next hour I'll probably stake myself.' I grumbled inwardly as I picked up my bag and left the classroom. My eyes searched the moving body of students, and I picked out Ethan by his locker, the boy I'd been sinking my fangs into every other day.

Putting on a smile, I skipped over to him and his friends, and as I approached they turned their attention to me. "Hey Rubes, looking good today." Ethan smirked, wrapping his arm around my waist. I mentally rolled my eyes in disgust at his nickname for me, but outwardly let out a giggle. "Thanks Ethan! I was just wondering--" I murmured in a bubbly manner, stretching up and standing on the tips of my toes to whisper in his ear, "Would you join me in the storage closet? I need a bit of help with something." Batting my long eyelashes and biting my lip seductively did the trick, and he grinned widely before bidding farewell to his friends and nearly dragging me to the unused janitor closet a few hallways over.

Pushing me in the dark and cramped space, his hands instantly went to try and pull off my top. "No, no, no. You know I like to be in charge." I reprimanded him, smacking his hands away. I watched him wet his lips in anticipation, and sighing heavily, I wrapped my arms around his neck and brought his face close to mine. Our eyes locked, and slowly (so that his dimwitted brain might comprehend) I said, "Don't make a sound." He nodded silently, and with another heartfelt sigh and a mutter of how I shouldn't pick jocks to drain because of how they smell, I brought his neck to my lips and opened my mouth to bite down. His blood boiled in my mouth, burning hotter than usual because of his excitement. His arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me closer, and my fangs dug deeper until they hit an especially juicy artery.

I drank my fill before retracting my fangs, lapping next at the wound and excess blood so that it healed. How vampire saliva could heal wounds was a mystery to me...but hey, I wasn't complaining. It was useful. Wiping my mouth, I gained his dazed attention once again, using my compulsion to erase his memory. "Tell your friends the usual." I said before exiting the closet and walking away, leaving a dazed jock who thought he just got laid behind. Now full, I left the school, ignoring the secretary that yelled after me to come back. Looking towards the forest, I had half a mind to go find Cyril and snap his bloody neck, but I refrained from it. I actually liked the outfit I was wearing and didn't wish to get blood on it.

Having nowhere else to go, I headed home, intent on staying in my house until Ashton called me. He was just as agitated as I was--I could tell. He felt something for Delilah, so of course her avoiding him as much as she was able to was putting him in a pissy mood. I felt a bit sorry for her actually, but to be honest I would find Ashton's aggravation quite hilarious if I wasn't in the same position he was. Hopefully this would all smooth out soon, and then we could get on with our lives (except for Ashton and I, considering we're dead) and find out just exactly what this Cyril wanted with our golden girl.