Taking What's His - Chapter 28

{ Ashton's POV }

'What the fuck?! Did you bite her?!' Ruby's voice burst angrily into my mind as she stormed into the hospital in a frenzy, her face twisted in rage and frightening most of the nurses, although I could clearly see the worry hidden underneath.

'Calm down. You're scaring the humans.' I huffed inwardly, signaling her to come closer. She approached quickly, her nails wound in hanging locks of hair in agitation, something I had long ago learned was a habit of her's when she was under stress.

"To answer your question, no, I didn't bite her. She was hit by a truck." I muttered under my breath, only loud enough so that she could hear. She looked skeptical, but nodded nonetheless. I could tell the blood that covered me was affecting her; she was paler than usual, her skin almost clammy looking and her eyes were unfocused.

"Breath Ruby. Remember what I told you." I warned, unsure if my order would even hold when she was in this state. She took in a shaky breath through her mouth before whirling around and placing a hand over her nose. "I'm fine! Is she...alive?"

"If she wasn't, she'd be in a morgue right now, not a hospital."

She glared at me, a huff escaping her lips, and I knew my sarcasm wasn't appreciated. "--Has she woken up yet?"

I shook my head, a grimace forcing my mouth into a thin line as I glanced toward the room where doctors were currently treating her injuries. "Her condition is stable at least, but her injuries were pretty severe. She lost a lot of blood." I sighed, running my hand through my hair.

Ruby slowly turned around, knawing gently on her lip as she did so, the very tips of her fangs pushing through her gums. "She's gonna smell weird for a while if they're giving her blood transfusions. But she'll need it, won't she?" I nodded in answer to her question, and a sigh was her response.

I whirled around at the sound of a door opening, and from Delilah's room exited the doctor, a slight smile on his face. "Well, the good news is that she'll live. Bad news--she might have some minor scars from where the glass cut deep enough, on her chest and stomach. She's awake now, so you can go in."

The doctor placed a sympathetic hand on my shoulder, having to reach a bit considering the height difference between us. A smile was thrown Ruby's way before he walked off and left us to go in. Ruby rushed in before me, appearing by Delilah's bedside in a flurry.

"Oh my god Delilah! How are you?" Ruby asked in a panic, wisps of tears appearing in the corners of her eyes.

"Well, I'm not dead, so I'd say I'm doing pretty good. If you excuse the numerous broken bones, bruised ribs, and everything else." Delilah replied sarcastically, giving a small smile as she said so. I let out a breath, satisfied now I realized at seeing her okay.

A simmering smile lit Ruby's lips momentarily before she shuffled back a few feet, giving Delilah space. "I'm sorry--this is really all our fault. Mostly Ashton's though." I rolled my eyes, but nodded otherwise. It was true. If I hadn't said what I had about her mother and stormed out, she would have still been sitting safely in her living room.

Although sitting in a house with two vampires who are highly drawn to her blood and not allowing her to leave maybe not be the safest thing.

* * * * *

No it's definitely safe. Perfectly safe. 100% safe. Yeah.