Taking What's His - Chapter 31

I was kept hospitalized for the next week, receiving at least one call from my mother who seemed to be drunk at the time which did nothing to help improve my mood. I was sick of the hospital's white washed walls and sterile rooms that reeked of sickness. Although both Ashton and Ruby came to visit me everyday, I felt like I was in a cage.

Luckily, on the eight day of my imprisonment, my doctor told me I would be free to go, but that I had to take it easy so as not to reopen my injuries. I promised I would--anything to get me out of this damn place. Both Ruby and Ashton were there when I got released, Ashton holding a vase of white lilies and Ruby a giant "Get Well Soon" bear.

I couldn't help the smile that stretched over my face as I walked (well, more like limped) over to them, greeting them both with tentative hugs. I was still getting used to the them being vampires thing--I had plenty of time to think over it during my stay, and I had come to the conclusion that if they wanted to kill me and drain me of every drop of my blood that they would have done so by now. Plus, Ashton did save my life...

"I'm not going to lie, you still look like you were hit by a truck." Ruby greeted me with a hug before pushing the overstuffed animal into my arms. "That's because I was." I replied with a short laugh, although I winced at the discomfort it caused me. Ashton stepped up and ruffled my hair, something that hasn't been done to me since my father died. I took a strange comfort in it and smiled up at him.

"You've missed a shit ton of work at school. We were supposed to bring it to you, but I got someone else to do it. I believe a thanks is in order." Ruby chided, examining her french tips. "I kind of wish you did bring it to me. Forget being hit by a truck, I almost died of boredom in there." I answered as Ashton ushered us out of the hospital waiting room and into the parking lot.

Waiting out in one of the parking spaces was quite a sight, and I turned to both Ashton and Ruby who trailed behind me with disbelief. "You fixed my car?" I could see a bit of his fang flash as Ashton grinned, giving me another pat on the head. "No, I just bought you a new one. Your old one was wrecked beyond repair." I stood there, my mouth agape as my head turned from them to my car to them once more before I let out a breath.

"You really shouldn't have." I muttered, although I had a hard time keeping a smile from showing on my face. I wasn't about to chide him and look a gift horse in the mouth, and I held out my hands for the keys. "Oh no, you're not driving just yet. Get in. Backseat." Ruby said as she gave me a light push towards the car. Less than exalted, I piled in the back, placing the bear on the seat next to me before Ashton handed me the vase full of lilies.

Ashton climbed in up front, Ruby in the passenger side before he pulled out of the parking lot. Turning to me, Ruby said, "We're throwing you a welcome home dinner and tonight we're cooking. What's your favourite meal?" I cracked a smile, thinking about it before answering. "It's cold now, so how about baked potato stew? My dad and I always used to make it during the winter months." I smiled, my fingers running through the stuffed animal's soft fur.

Ashton's eyes flickered and met mine in the rearview mirror and I could see the hints of a smile tugging at his lips. "Sounds good. We'll take you home so you can get settled in and we'll go buy the ingredients. Can you send them to Ruby?" he asked as Ruby fished my phone from her purse. Handing it back to me, I began typing out the ingredients for the stew, feeling an excitement build for tonight.

Soon enough we were pulling in the driveway and Ruby came and helped me out. "We also took the liberty to fix up the damage in the house since that was partly our fault as well." she chipped in as I grabbed my bear. I was led into the house which they also took the care to lock up after damage control and was led inside.

Everything looked the very same before the two started wrecking my house to get to me, and I looked around in undisguised awe. "You two do damage control well." I complimented with a nod. The vase of lilies Ashton set on the dining room table, before turning to me. "Will you be okay here while we go shopping?"

"Yeah, I will. If anything happens I'll call." Both gave a nod before passing me to leave, Ashton once again placing his hand on my head as Ruby left the house. He stared down at me, his eyes a still deep mahogany before I heard him murmur, "Ah, what the hell." He dipped down and placed a kiss on my lips, one that warmed my blood and sent butterflies fluttering in my stomach.

My bear dropped and I took the liberty of putting my arms around his neck as he gently crushed my body to his own. He kissed me for what seemed like a small eternity, and when he pulled away I let out a wavering breath. Once again, that overly smug smirk was on his face as he gently pulled my arms from around his neck, his eyes glowing with a hint of red.

"We'll be back soon." were his parting words as he ruffled my hair and walked out, shutting the door behind him. I stood there and listened as the car pulled out of the drive, my breathing still a bit uneven. Honestly, what I needed at the moment was a chilled shower, but it seems that would have to wait as I heard someone ring the doorbell. Not having heard anyone approach, I assume either Ashton or Ruby had come back for something.

Truthfully, I hoped it was Ashton.

I scooped up my bear and walked over to the door, opening it and staring up at the man who stood at the threshold with surprise. A chilling smile graced his lips, although his pale crimson eyes regarded me softly. Snow white hair was tucked behind both ears and pulled tightly back, and his pale hands were clasped in front of him in a non threatening manner. I blinked up at him, wondering if I should feel a certain fear that he was now standing here in front of me.

"Hello Delilah. May I come in?"